Under the direction of the Legislative Director, the Legislative Associate will assist in implementing the legislative strategy for Minnesota Center for Environmental Advocacy (MCEA). Direct legislative experience, preferably in the Minnesota Legislature, is required.
Established in 1974, MCEA uses law, science, and research to protect Minnesota’s environment, its natural resources, and the health of its people. MCEA envisions clean water, clean air, healthy ecosystems, a sustainable economy, and improved public health for all Minnesotans.
- Under direction of the Legislative Director, set up and attend meetings with members of the Minnesota Legislature to seek support for MCEA positions and provide briefings on key environmental issues;
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with Legislators, legislative and agency staff, members of other environmental and conservation groups, other stakeholders, and MCEA staff;
- Prepare written analyses, testimony, coalition letters, and background materials in support of MCEA legislative objectives;
- Monitor and track legislative activity including bill introductions, committee hearing notices, update our internal legislative bill tracker, and maintain updated legislative information on the MCEA website;
- Attend relevant committee hearings and take notes to report back to Legislative Team members;
- Provide content for weekly/bi-weekly legislative update;
- During the interim (when the legislature is not in session), conduct research on policy issues, assist program staff with advocacy projects, attend coalition meetings, and carry out other duties and projects as assigned by the Legislative Director.
- Minimum of one year’s relevant experience in state legislative work, preferably in Minnesota;
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, political science, environmental sciences, public policy, or related field;
- Commitment to public interest environmental advocacy and environmental justice;
- Strong communication and writing skills;
- Lobbying experience at the Minnesota Legislature;
- Knowledge of Minnesota environmental, energy, natural resources laws; and
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Experience working in a non-profit, legal, or advocacy setting;
- Demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations;
- Positive contribution to the creation of a diverse, equitable, inclusive team-oriented work environment that celebrates differences.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
The salary range for this position is $35,000-$45,000 annually. All employees at MCEA enjoy a great benefits package and generous paid time off.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. The cover letter should outline how your background meets our preferred experience, and will be treated as a writing sample. Deadline for applications is December 16, 2019.
MCEA is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, LGBT individuals, and women.