Photos: Jeremy Aaron
This cleanup is an Earth Day tradition in the Minneapolis River Gorge. People come from throughout the local river corridor neighborhoods and metro area — individuals, families, small church, corporate and student groups — to celebrate Earth Day and contribute to the health and vitality of this national treasure in our midst, the Mississippi River. …And enjoy the Parkway Pizza!
We’ll meet at two bluff-top sites on the parkway trail. Pick whichever meeting spot works better for you:
• East 36th Street and West River Parkway, an oak savanna actively being restored by FMR Gorge Stewards volunteers.
• East 44th Street and West River Parkway, a maple basswood forest also benefiting from Gorge Stewards restoration volunteers.
You’ll see a small tent and signage near the bike and walking trails. (Please note that the start-time is indeed 9:30 a.m., NOT 9 a.m.) You’ll sign in and receive trash bags and directions. If possible, please bring your own gloves. A limited quantity will be provided, it would help us conserve limited resources (and the gloves we can provide are often ill-fitting, especially for youth).
Both sites also feature ongoing educational presentations, usually involving a National Park Service ranger and other high-quality presenters. We are also working on securing refreshments and possibly a pizza lunch. Details will be added as soon as they are confirmed, most likely in February 2015.
Information will also be available about the Mississippi River Gorge Stewards program and additional upcoming FMR volunteer and educational events at these and other restoration sites.
For more information view: http://fmr.org/participate/events/earth_day_cleanup-2015-04-25
We hope to see you there!
Preregistration is not required for this event unless:
* You are under 18 and your guardian will not be attending with you. Teens 15 and up are welcome to participate! However, we will need your parent or guardian to complete this online minor permission form ahead of time. (It’s a legal thing.)
* You’re with a group of 10 or more, please contact FMR Registrar Amy Kilgore, akilgore[at]fmr.org (or select “Amy Kilgore” under “Category” on our contact form), 651-222-2193 x31, to help ensure adequate supplies and to help make the registration process easier for your group.
Groups of 20 or more should also consider setting up a cleanup site just for their members. It’s quick and easy, and helps ensure that cleanup efforts are better distributed throughout the city. To learn more, contact Erika Chua at email@example.com.
This cleanup is part of the Gorge Stewards, an educational and volunteer program led by Friends of the Mississippi River that provides opportunities for people who care about the Twin Cities River Gorge to actively engage in its care. Learn more!
* Photos from the chilly River Gorge Earth Day Cleanups are available here on our Flickr site.
Want a cleanup site closer to home?
This event is part of a larger citywide cleanup effort sponsored by the Minneapolis Parks and Recreation Board and the City of Minneapolis. There are over 20 other cleanup sites. A list of 2014 sites is available here, and we will post the 2015 list when it is available.