Info from the Healing Our Waters coalition:
Please contact your member of Congress and urge them to fund the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative at $300 million in the 2011 federal budget.
The House will begin debating the FY11 budget on Monday, Feb. 14, which means we have one additional week to let Great Lakes members of Congress know that funding the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative at $300 million is critical to the health of the Great Lakes and our way of life in the Great Lakes region. It is critical that members hear from their constituents about the importance of funding the GLRI.
Please call your Representative AND Senators to urge them to support $300 million for the GLRI in the fiscal year 2011 budget because of its importance to our region’s environment and economy.
Let members of Congress know that:
1. Great Lakes restoration is a solid investment.
– Restoring the Lakes produces $2 for every $1 we invest, and restoration projects create good-paying jobs now, while laying the foundation for long-term prosperity.
2. We’re making progress using the investments from the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative; hundreds of projects are funded and ready to get under way.
– Restoration projects deliver results: people and business are re-connecting with their restored waterfronts, fish are returning, toxic sediments are being removed, and the quality of our drinking water is being improved.
– PROVIDE EXAMPLE of compelling restoration projects by type—habitat, run-off, etc.
3. If we allow restoration efforts to stall, these problems will get worse and the price we pay will be higher.
You may reach your Representative and Senator’s offices through the Capitol Switchboard: 202-224-3121