Location: Saint Paul
Classification: Full-time, exempt
Summary of Position
The Staff Attorney is responsible for providing the Minnesota Land Trust with legal services required to complete conservation easement transactions and other real estate projects. This includes responsibility for helping with drafting and/or reviewing transactional documents to ensure that the Land Trust maintains the highest standards in its transactions. The Staff Attorney works closely with the Director of Land Protection, Program Managers, Director of Conservation Stewardship, and the Executive Director on individual projects and procedures. The Staff Attorney reports to the Senior Staff Attorney.
- Draft and/or review components of transactions, such as conservation easements, board resolutions, surveys, title work, options, purchase agreements, baseline documentation reports, and subcontracts. Ensure that all documents conform to Minnesota Land Trust policies, Land Trust Alliance Standards and Practices, State of Minnesota requirements, IRS requirements, and other legal or grant requirements.
- Provide legal advice on real estate transactions to Land Trust staff to ensure sound conservation and business transactions.
- Assist in the purchase or sale of fee-title property.
- Work with the Director of Conservation Stewardship and the Executive Director on issues with existing conservation easements, such as interpretations, amendments, and enforcement actions.
- Work with the Senior Staff Attorney and other staff on maintaining accurate records, and up-to-date forms.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A law degree and at least 3 years of experience as a licensed attorney with a good background in real estate and contracts.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work with a wide variety of individuals both inside and outside of the organization.
- Well organized and self-directed.
- Proficiency with PCs, Microsoft Office, and Gmail. Reasonable ability to learn new technology.
- Strong interest in land conservation. Ability to work as part of a diverse team to help maintain a well-respected and robust conservation organization.
- Willingness to work select evenings and weekends as necessary.
- Occasional travel throughout the State of Minnesota is required.
Please submit a cover letter and resume as a single PDF document to Sue Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org by November 25, 2018.