WHO WE ARE: The Minnesota Center for Environmental Advocacy has been the leading legal and
scientific voice for Minnesota’s environment since 1974. A growing nonprofit with offices in Saint Paul
and Duluth, MCEA supports its employees through a commitment to a living wage, a good benefits
package, and regular opportunities for professional growth and development. We value diversity,
equity, an inclusive culture, and respect in the workplace. MCEA was featured on the 2022 Best
Nonprofits to Work For list by the Nonprofit Times and the 2022 Minneapolis-St. Paul Business Journal’s Best Places to Work list.
POSITION SUMMARY: MCEA is looking for a Policy Advocate to be a key team member for our
Legislative Program reporting to the Legislative Director. Our ideal candidate is passionate about
community engagement, and dedicated to the work of environmental justice, climate justice, water
advocacy, and improvement of public health through environmental advocacy. Much of this role will be
co-designed with the Legislative Director, and the Policy Advocate will have agency to design their role
on the Legislative Team based on their own strengths, existing networks, and specific passions.
Our ideal candidate is energized by working with communities and coalitions, and has demonstrated
success in community organizing and engagement. This person is passionate about equity and has a
strong understanding of the meaning of environmental and climate justice. They are invested in their
own personal and career growth, and are working to develop themselves as a leader in the
environmental advocacy space.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
LEGISLATIVE ADVOCACY – 60%
For 60% of this position, the Policy Advocate would be working to advance MCEA’s legislative priorities.
This includes participating in project teams and leading projects that are of interest to the Policy
Advocate, and working alongside the Legislative Director on lobbying efforts. The Policy Advocate drafts
presentations and is responsible for organizing internal meetings for the legislative team, with the goal
of keeping MCEA staff updated on what’s happening at the Legislature. Additionally, the Policy
Advocate is the face of the organization in multiple coalition meetings, and would develop new
relationships that are key to our legislative work. The Policy Advocate plays a key role in developing
strategy with the Legislative Director, responsible for implementing components of decided-on
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT – 40%
For 40% of this position, the Policy Advocate would develop community engagement around activities at
the Legislature. The Policy Advocate is responsible for organizing our supporters and volunteers in
legislative engagement activities, such as showing up to committee hearings on key legislation, meeting
with their elected officials, and engaging in work on MCEA and coalition goals during and around the
legislative session. The Policy Advocate will lead initiatives and develop new strategies to connect with
the community, and find new audiences for our educational materials.
- Experience working in campaigns, community organizing, or general grassroots work.
- Experience working with various Minnesota communities on community-focused issues.
- Experience working with coalitions of organizations aimed at a common cause
- Basic understanding of the process of Minnesota policy at the state level, and some knowledge
of Minnesota politics.
- Commitment to learning and personal growth
- Passion for working on environmental justice, climate justice, water quality advocacy, and public
- Ability to work in a hybrid workplace (remote & in person), and ability to be physically present at
the State Capitol during legislative session (Jan-May)
- Self-management of projects, including time management and self-advocacy for workplace
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, and for both small and large audiences
- Willingness to work with people of different backgrounds, political viewpoints, and life passions.
- Computer literacy required, preference to a candidate with knowledge or willingness to learn
basic webpage management and project management platforms.
- No specific education requirement for this position, but relevant education may count as partial
SALARY & BENEFITS: MCEA strives to create a mission-focused work environment that is equitable andinclusive. MCEA highly values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We are proud to support our employees through a range of strategies, including generous benefits for employees and
dependents, and paid family leave. The starting salary range for this full-time position is $40,000 to
REPORTS TO: Legislative Director
TO APPLY: Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 31st, 2022 for
priority consideration. In your cover letter, please describe your previous experience with community
engagement, and what is exciting to you about this position. You must submit all materials directly to
this email address – no applications via third party website (such as Indeed) will be accepted.