Location: St. Paul
Part-time, 24 hours/week, with benefits
Friends of the Mississippi River (FMR) is a leading and growing nonprofit organization working to protect, restore and enhance the Mississippi River and its watershed in the Twin Cities region. FMR’s goals are to improve water quality; conserve important lands; inspire widespread commitment to this natural wonder flowing through our community; and protect the river’s unique scenic, natural, cultural and recreational qualities. The organization has an annual budget of $2.4M and employs a professional staff of 21 employees who enjoy a beautiful new office space overlooking the river in downtown St. Paul. The workplace culture at FMR is collaborative and fun and staff share a common love of the river and dedication to the mission of the organization.
FMR believes the Mississippi River belongs to all of us and its gifts should flow equally to everyone in our community. We strive to be culturally competent, welcoming and inclusive of all people. We are working toward greater social and environmental justice, using our resources and influence to redress structural inequality in our own organization and where it intersects with the health and vitality of the Mississippi River. We encourage interested applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
The finance director reports to the executive director and manages the overall finances of the organization as a member of the senior management team. They are the lead staff liaison to the finance committee of the board of directors, and external auditors. The director supervises and works closely with the accountant.
The position is right for a seasoned financial professional who desires to use their skills and expertise to help the organization increase its impact. The ideal candidate will be an engaging leader who will bring strong financial acumen with proven experience modeling and analyzing strategic financial decisions.
- Serve as a member of FMR’s senior management team
- Supervise and work collaboratively with the accountant to perform the organization’s financial functions
- Ensure the accuracy, completeness and timeliness of internal and external financial reporting
- Work closely with the board treasurer and the executive director, present financial reports to the board of directors
- Serve as primary liaison to the external auditors to ensure accurate and timely completion of the annual audit and tax return
- Serve as primary staff liaison to the Finance Committee of the board
- Manage FMR investments and relations with its financial partners
- Manage the annual benefits renewal process, serving as primary liaison to the insurance broker, and relay updated information to staff
- Manage or participate in other human resource activities, such as onboarding new employees and conducting evaluation and analysis of personnel policies and benefits
- Liaison with other (non-benefits related) insurance brokers and agents. This includes the annual renewal process, workers compensation audits, certificate of insurance requests, and other insurance matters as they arise
- Third party reporting to governmental and other entities. This includes, lobbyist reporting, sales tax reporting, and Charities Review Council reporting
- Work closely with the development department, providing financial information needed for grant requests, reporting, etc.
- Special projects and analyses as requested by the executive director and others
- Annual budget compilation, completion, analysis and presentation, working closely with the executive director and the finance committee of the board in the process
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communications skills, with the ability to present complex financial information to non-financial people
- Accounting degree or equivalent, with MBA and/or CPA strongly preferred
- Five or more years experience in a similar position, preferably at a non-profit
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to plan work, meet deadlines and balance multiple projects and objectives
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule that is adaptive to the needs of the organization
- Proficiency with spreadsheet applications such as Excel and Google Sheets is required
- Familiarity with QuickBooks and FileMaker is desired
- Self-motivation and initiative as well as the ability and eagerness to work as part of a team
- Strong teamwork ethic, positive and proactive attitude, with a sense of humor
- Strong personal commitment to the mission of FMR
Salary & Benefits
Competitive salary, commensurate with experience. Benefits include health and dental insurance, retirement match, parking/transit allowance and generous paid vacation, sick and holiday leave.
Please consolidate your application into one PDF document that includes: a cover letter summarizing your interest in and qualifications for the position; a 2-3 page résumé; and the names, titles and phone numbers of three professional references (or two professional and one personal reference). Please include your last name in the file name and email it as an attachment with “Finance Director” as the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The position will remain open until filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply by Monday, November 26, 2018.