Position Description: The Water Quality Support (Temporary) position will assist with monitoring of Minneapolis Park system lakes and stormwater in association with a variety of projects. The position responsibilities will include:
Lake, creek, well readings / data management – 20%
Sample preparation and delivery – 30%
Lake, beach, Webber natural swimming pool and stormwater monitoring – 30%
Additional field and office work – 20%
The Water Quality Support position is an opportunity for individuals pursuing a career in water resources, stormwater, or other related environmental fields to gain experience in water quality monitoring and fieldwork. The majority of this position’s time will be spent outdoors participating in field monitoring or delivering samples to labs.
Position Duration: During the Summer (June – August): 40 hours a week, standard hours are Monday through Friday from 7:30AM- 4:00PM, with some days 7:00AM-3:30PM. Some potential for earlier start date and potential for work through October.
Compensation: $16.00 per hour. This position is eligible for sick and safe leave in accordance with the Minneapolis Sick and Safe Time Ordinance. This position is not eligible for other benefits.
- Completion of undergraduate or graduate degree OR current student. Interest in a career in water resources, including water quality monitoring and fieldwork.
- Completed water resources-related coursework.
- Ability to work full-time (40 hours per week) from June– August.
- Experience using Excel and MS-Word software.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work independently.
- Basic familiarity with the Minneapolis area.
- Current valid driver’s license.
- Ability to lift and carry 25 pounds.
Desired qualifications: Experience and/or coursework related to water resources such as limnology, field methods, aquatic invasives, or macrophytes. Interest or experience in stormwater. Experience with GPS, ArcGIS, R, canoes, boats, and trailers. Enjoy working outside and working in teams.
Email your resume, cover letter, and copy of college transcript to:
Email Subject: WQ Summer Support
Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board
3800 Bryant Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55409