Location: St. Paul
WHO WE ARE:
The Minnesota Center for Environmental Advocacy has been the leading legal and scientific voice for Minnesota’s environment since 1974. We work in the courts, regulatory agencies and at the legislature to defend clean water and to create a livable climate for our children. MCEA is a nonprofit that seeks to support its employees through a commitment to a living wage, a good benefits package, and opportunities for professional growth and development. We value equity and respect in the workplace.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
Minnesota Center for Environmental Advocacy is the state’s leading public-interest environment and energy law firm. We advocate in state and federal courts, administrative proceedings, and at the legislature to protect and defend Minnesota’s environment and the health of its people. The Law Clerk will provide research, writing, and litigation support to MCEA’s legal department. This includes litigation, client advice (to MCEA), communications to MCEA’s Legal Committee, as well as acting as liaison, as appropriate, to concerned citizens and other advocacy organizations.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Research legal issues identified by MCEA’s legal team and write memoranda providing legal analysis and summarizing findings within specified deadlines.
- Provide support for MCEA’s litigation efforts, including document review, contact with administrative agencies, drafting of pleadings, and other litigation needs, as appropriate.
- Work with MCEA attorneys to serve MCEA’s legal needs, including analyzing potential cases, research and development of legal strategies, litigation, and day to day legal advice.
- Attend client meetings and administrative hearings as appropriate and participate in internal MCEA meetings.
OTHER PERFORMANCE CRITERIA:
- Excellent research and writing ability.
- Good working relationship with MCEA staff, other clients, partners, and affected communities.
- Demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
- Clear, logical, and focused analysis and synthesis of issues.
- Positive contribution to the creation of a diverse, equitable, inclusive, team-orientated work environment that celebrates differences.
- Creativity in addressing legal and policy problems and the ability to be reflective in assessing one’s own performance and growth.
MCEA strives to create a mission-focused work environment that is fair and inclusive. MCEA highly values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
This is a full-time paid position
Please send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and transcript via email to Eric Lindberg at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline to submit application materials is March 1, 2020.
Established in 1974, MCEA uses law, science, and research to protect Minnesota’s environment, its natural resources, and the health of its people. MCEA envisions clean water, clean air, healthy ecosystems, a sustainable economy, and improved public health for all Minnesotans. We are committed to growing our capacity and impact to achieve measurable progress toward this vision.