Duration: FTT (Full-Time Temporary), 6 months (Dec – May)
Salary Range: $3,333 – $4,133 / month
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Do you have an interest in state-level public policy? Are you an organized person who would enjoy being a part of the legislative process? If this sounds like you and you’re ready to deploy your talents in support of bold climate action, read on!
Job overview and requirements:
Fresh Energy is hiring a full-time, temporary policy associate to join our Public Affairs team. This new position will work to support our policy priorities during the 2023 Minnesota legislative session. We’re looking for candidates with an interest and background in public policy and a desire to apply their skills to advancing legislative actions that will contribute to achieving carbon neutral economies by mid-century.
This position will be located at our office in downtown Saint Paul, Minnesota; however, Fresh Energy is currently functioning as a hybrid office with staff working in our office or at home/remotely depending on the function and preference. For this role the candidate will coordinate with their coach on an agreed upon arrangement. To protect the safety of all employees, we are a fully vaccinated workplace with proof of vaccination required for all staff and vendors before entering our office.
Fresh Energy is committed to co-creating an inclusive, diverse, and equitable workplace. Our learning continues with our commitment to be an anti-racist organization: https://fresh-energy.org/anti-racism
Our leadership is accountable to all communities, customers, partners, vendors including but not limited to individuals who identify as Black, Indigenous, people of color, LGBTQ+, veterans, persons with disabilities, people of all gender identities, religiously affiliated, and/or neurodivergent.
As proven leaders in energy and climate, Fresh Energy understands that there are solutions within reach that can help us prevent the very worst damages of climate change. For 30 years, Fresh Energy has been speeding Minnesota’s transition to a clean energy economy to ensure that our region enjoys good health, a vibrant economy, and thriving, equitable communities today and for generations to come. Our mission is to shape and drive bold policy solutions to achieve equitable carbon-neutral economies.
In order to achieve our mission, Fresh Energy is committed to working collaboratively alongside partners, community stakeholders, expert thought leaders and public officials to build a shared commitment to climate action. Achieving climate solutions at the pace and scale required to reach the consensus target identified by the world’s leading climate scientists – carbon neutral by 2050 – will require nothing less than an all-hands-on-deck effort. We really are all in this together!
Each legislative session, Fresh Energy works to support a range of priorities at the Minnesota State Legislature to help move Minnesota towards an equitable, carbon neutral economy. Minnesota has historically been a regional leader in clean energy policy; advancing solutions at the state capitol is critical to seeing the greenhouse gas emissions reductions we need both here in Minnesota, as well as nationally. This year, we are creating a new, session-only position to support the fast-paced work of tracking and advancing our priorities. This position will work with the Public Affairs team, the Communications team, policy experts across our organization, and organizational partners to support these efforts.
Reports to & Coached by:
Senior Associate, Public Affairs
Support Fresh Energy’s capacity to deliver legislative advancements in clean energy policy, in coordination with Fresh Energy’s public affairs strategy.
- Act as key team member for advancing Fresh Energy’s legislative priorities during the 2023 legislative session.
- Read, track, and share relevant bill introductions internally.
- Attend and monitor legislative committee hearings and floor sessions (this can be virtually or in-person).
- Communicate internally with the Public Affairs team and Fresh Energy staff about relevant developments at the Capitol.
- Represent Fresh Energy in coalition meetings with partner organizations.
- Coordinate with Capitol staff members and Fresh Energy policy experts regarding Fresh Energy written and verbal testimony in committees.
- As needed, develop written materials to submit to legislative committees for the public record.
Actively participate in Fresh Energy’s culture of collaboration and model our core values.
- Model organization core values such as acting with honesty and integrity and acting to advance equity and justice. You can read more about our core values and mission here: https://fresh-energy.org/about-us.
- Exhibit a clear commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and provide leadership in continually advancing Fresh Energy’s commitment to equity and being an anti-racist organization. You can read more here: https://fresh-energy.org/our-commitment-to-diversity-equity-and-inclusion.
- Work effectively in the context of the Public Affairs team, the broader Fresh Energy team, and with external partners, enhancing collaboration by maintaining good communication, seeking and respecting diverse viewpoints, engendering trust, fulfilling responsibilities, and ensuring that all team members and their contributions are valued.
- This is a full-time, temporary, and exempt from over-time position, working 40 hours per week. We believe in caring for others at work and at home. Fresh Energy is committed to keeping the workload in alignment with the true hours worked and respecting the space needed to take personal time to care for your wellbeing and your family members.
Other duties as assigned and in coordination between position holder and senior associate, public affairs.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Behavior:
- Interest in legislative advocacy and working familiarity with Minnesota’s legislative process.
- Strong organizational skills, including ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines for completion of projects.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Basic familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite and general comfort level with learning new IT applications and platforms.
- Commitment to the mission & values of Fresh Energy.
The position will be eligible for the following benefits:
- 10 days of PTO from day 1 of employment (must be taken within the duration of their employment at Fresh Energy with your coach’s agreement), and applicable Fresh Energy paid holidays, with a flexible, family-friendly schedule.
- Not eligible for parental/adoption leave, or family care leave.
- Eligible to participate in medical and dental plans, additional voluntary vision, short- and long-term disability, life, AD&D insurance. Employee may elect COBRA after the duration of their employment at Fresh Energy ends.
- We incentivize transit, biking, and walking, offering a dollar-for-dollar bus pass match. We also offer $1 for each trip to and from work by bike or walk, and an indoor bike storage area. There is the option to partake in the building’s fitness center and showers that are available for Fresh Energy staff as part of being a tenant of the Historic Hamm Building.
- Eligible to participate in Fresh Energy’s 403(b) plan.
- All our employees are fully vaccinated for COVID19, and we are testing a hybrid work-model. We update our in-person protocols to safeguard the health and safety for all employees when they want to use the office.
- Eligible for reimbursement up to $65/month for Coach approved cellphone plan.
- Employee will be provided with an organization owned laptop and subsequent IT equipment as required by the role.
- Eligible to participate in individual and joint professional workshops and trainings. The employee may participate in 1 training course outside of Fresh Energy, with coach approval.
- We are intentional in co-creating a relevant and inclusive flexible hybrid workplace. We foster a respectful, collaborative, and fun work environment. Learn more about working at Fresh Energy here: https://fresh-energy.org/our-team/working-at-fresh-energy/
- We are currently testing having Short Fridays where the office closes at noon every Friday.
Our hiring process and timeline
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled; preference given to applicants submitting on or before November 10, 2022.
- Our hiring team will select finalists for an initial 30-minute interview via video conference or over the phone during the week of November 14.
- A limited number of finalists will be invited back for an approximately 60-minute second-round interview, which will preferably be in-person. At that time we will ask for three references and one work sample relevant to this position, e.g. professional writing samples, or other relevant materials.
- Ideally the selected candidate would begin work in December 2022.
- Fresh Energy’s Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employer Policy reflect our commitment to ensure equality, treat everyone with respect, and promote diversity in the workplace.
E-mail cover letter and resume in one pdf with the subject line “Session Associate, Legislative Affairs” to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.