Duration: FT (Full-Time)
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota – Hybrid
Salary Range: $55,000-65,000 based on experience
Job Overview and Requirements:
Do you have superb writing skills and a passion for words? Are you the type of person who has a knack for explaining complicated information in a way that is approachable, concise, and motivating? Do you enjoy communicating and writing about clean energy and climate?
Fresh Energy is hiring a full-time Senior Communications Associate, Writer to join our team. This position will take direction from and collaborate with Senior Director, Communications and Engagement to write multi-channel (print, digital, online) communications that educate and inspire to drive engagement and investment in Fresh Energy’s mission, policy work, and strategic imperatives.
Using strategic, effective, and targeted communications, Fresh Energy is building support for a carbon-neutral economy, helping Minnesotans move from education to action. This position will help Fresh Energy inform, engage, and grow our stakeholders and supporters, build an expanded base of prospective donors, and ensure stakeholders and donors are up-to-date and inspired to action by our work.
To succeed in this role, an applicant must be a clear, concise writer who can distill complex ideas into easily understood language, making even the most seemingly technical concepts compelling and understandable. This role must also have a dedication to engaging the general public in clean energy policies and connecting those policies to climate solutions. Other important prerequisites include meticulous attention to detail, analytical and critical thinking abilities, and a collaborative approach.
As experts in clean energy and climate, Fresh Energy understands that there are solutions within reach that can help us prevent the very worst damages of climate change. For 30 years, Fresh Energy has been speeding Minnesota’s transition to a clean energy economy to ensure that our region enjoys good health, a vibrant economy, and thriving, equitable communities today and for generations to come. Fresh Energy’s mission is to shape and drive bold policy solutions to create equitable carbon-neutral economies.
Fresh Energy has historically worked to decarbonize Minnesota’s electric power sector and facilitate the deployment of carbon-free renewables like wind and solar, while also implementing and expanding energy efficiency solutions. Over the last decade, in addition to expanding our equity-focused work by launching an Energy Access and Equity program, Fresh Energy’s future-focused policy work has grown to include additional sectors of the economy—including buildings, industry, and transportation—that also require urgent decarbonization.
In order to achieve the level of carbon reduction we need now, Fresh Energy is committed to taking a multifaceted, thoughtful, and equitable approach that decarbonizes our electricity sector, creates a carbon-neutral economy through high-impact and integrated solutions, ensures an equitable and just energy transition, and builds a shared commitment to climate action.
Working purely in the public interest, Fresh Energy’s team of scientists, economists, policy analysts, and educators develop and advance solutions that secure a clean energy future where all can thrive.
Senior Director, Communications and Engagement
Write multi-channel (print, digital, online) communications that educate and inspire to drive engagement and investment in Fresh Energy’s mission, policy work, and strategic imperatives. This role will take direction from and collaborate with Senior Director, Communications and Engagement to:
- Plan, write, and review external print and digital communications (including monthly Powering Progress email newsletter, bi-annual Energy Matters print newsletter, Annual Report, and more) to center people, policies, programs, action, and goals.
- Effectively communicate via newsletter articles, blog posts, “explainers,” scripts, and beyond, Fresh Energy’s policy and programmatic goals, advocacy-related policy updates, and complex energy-related topics in way that is engaging, meaningful, and inspiring to a general audience.
- Provide writing expertise to assist policy and program staff in self-authored written communications that could include blogs, whitepapers, reports, and testimony.
- Write policy- and advocacy-related communications and engaging calls to action for Fresh Energy’s Action Network and the broader network of Minnesotans who care about Minnesota’s clean energy and climate future.
- Write inspiring and motivating development communications. including donation appeal letters, segmented donor communications, donor stories, event scripts, and more.
- Write special interest briefs or short articles—with support from policy/program staff—to submit to local print and online media.
- Keep a continual eye on Fresh Energy’s digital and print materials to identify outdated or ineffective language and wordsmithing opportunities.
- Support Communications Team systems and logistics by:
- Becoming proficient in basic use of Fresh Energy’s CRM (database).
- Occasionally assisting in writing content for and posting on Fresh Energy social media accounts.
- Occasionally assisting in maintaining and updating Fresh Energy’s website.
Participate in culture of collaboration and model our core values.
- Model organization values, see here: Core Values.
- Shape and support organization-wide systems such as our culture of fundraising and performance review system.
- Exhibit a clear commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and provide leadership in continually advancing Fresh Energy’s commitment to equity and being an anti-racist organization.
- Work effectively in the context of your immediate team, the broader Fresh Energy team, and with external partners, enhancing collaboration by maintaining good communication, seeking and respecting diverse viewpoints, engendering trust, fulfilling responsibilities, and ensuring that all team members and their contributions are value.
Other duties as assigned and in coordination between position holder and senior director, communications and engagement.
- Superb writing skills and a passion for words.
- Clear, concise writer who can distill complex energy policies and concepts into easily understood language, making even the most seemingly technical concepts compelling and understandable.
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking abilities, undaunted by complicated subjects and can unravel them into clear, simple language.
- Meticulous copyediting and proofreading skills, with ability to edit for clarity and concision —in accordance with AP Style.
- Extremely close attention to detail with strong eye for mistakes and inconsistencies.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Genuine interest in energy and climate with a commitment to the mission of Fresh Energy.
- Self-starter who is able to work independently, is planful, and results-oriented.
- Demonstrated ability to perform well in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong computer skills in Windows environment, including MS Office.
- Bachelor’s Degree and two or more years of experience in a communications or writing-focused role.
- Team player who desires working in an environment where working as a team is valued and practiced.
- Ability to work occasional evenings/weekends is required.
- Persons in this position frequently lift, carry, push and/or pull objects weighing up to 20 pounds.
Compensation and benefits
- Starting salary range: $55,000-65,000 based on experience.
- Full-time, exempt position, working 40 hours per week, with the exception of Half-day Fridays. We believe in caring for others at work and at home. Fresh Energy is committed to keeping the workload in alignment with the true hours worked and respecting the space needed to take personal time to care for your wellbeing and your family members.
- 24 days of PTO (increases each year of employment), 15 paid holidays, and a flexible, family-friendly schedule; plus, Summer Fridays where the office closes at noon on Friday.
- We provide medical and dental plans, additional voluntary vision, short- and long-term disability, life, AD&D insurance, and 5 percent of annual salary contribution to your 403(b)-retirement plan from your first day at Fresh Energy. Fresh Energy will contribute a match of 1:1 up to 3% of your eligible gross salary should you decide to contribute to your plan.
- In addition, we incentivize transit, biking, and walking, offering a dollar-for-dollar bus pass match, $1 for each trip to and from work by bike or walk, and an indoor bike storage area, as well as gym, and showers available for Fresh Energy staff as part of being a tenant of the Historic Hamm Building.
- Generous parental leave on your first day of full-time employment. Eligible employees are entitled to up to twelve (12) weeks of paid/unpaid leave under this policy. Fresh Energy will pay an eligible employee for the first six (6) weeks of leave with the rest of the leave being unpaid or being paid through the use of PTO. A full-time employee can carry over the eligible 80 PTO hours each fiscal year plus up to an additional 80 hours of PTO leave to cover the remaining 6-weeks that is not paid by Fresh Energy.
- All our employees are fully vaccinated for COVID19. We update our in-person protocols to safeguard the health and safety for all employees.
- We promote and sponsor individual and joint professional development workshops and trainings.
- We are intentional in co-creating a relevant and inclusive flexible hybrid workplace. We foster a respectful, collaborative, and fun work environment. Learn more about working at Fresh Energy here: https://fresh-energy.org/our-team/working-at-fresh-energy/
- Current Fresh Energy policy allows a hybrid work schedule, with in-person presence encouraged two to three days per week with remote work. In-person presence may include meetings, conferences, or speaking engagements external to the office.
Our hiring process and timeline:
- At your earliest convenience, please submit a resume and brief (one page) cover letter to our hiring team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Preference will be given to applications received by or before April 23, 2023.
- Our hiring team will select finalists for an initial interview in early May.
- Finalists will be invited back for an approximately 60-minute second-round interview. At that time we will ask for three references and two work samples relevant to this position, e.g. professional writing samples, or other relevant materials.
- Ideally the selected candidate would begin work in late May or early June.
- Fresh Energy’s Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employer Policy reflect our commitment to ensure equality, treat everyone with respect, and promote diversity in the workplace.
E-mail cover letter and resume with the subject line “Senior Communications Associate, Writer” to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.