Job Type: FTE
Salary Range: $51,000-$63,000
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Are you an experienced campaign professional? Do you enjoy rallying diverse people in support of a common cause? If this sounds like you and you’re ready to deploy your talents in support of bold climate action, read on!
Job overview and requirements
Fresh Energy is hiring a full-time senior associate to join our Public Affairs team. This new position will work to develop and support public-facing advocacy campaigns advancing Fresh Energy’s full suite of policy and programmatic priorities. We’re looking for candidates with diverse experience leading public campaigns and a desire to apply their professional campaign skills to the critical work of achieving carbon neutral economies by mid-century.
This position will be located at our office in downtown Saint Paul, Minnesota; however, Fresh Energy is currently functioning as a hybrid office with staff working in our office or at home/remotely depending on the function and preference. For this role the candidate will coordinate with their coach on an agreed upon arrangement. To protect the safety of all employees, we are a fully vaccinated workplace with proof of vaccination required for all staff and vendors before entering our office.
Fresh Energy is committed to co-creating an inclusive, diverse, and equitable workplace. Our learning continues with our commitment to be an anti-racist organization: https://fresh-energy.org/anti-racism
Our leadership is welcoming and accountable to all communities, customers, partners, vendors including but not limited to individuals who identify as Black, Indigenous, people of color, LGBTQ+, veterans, persons with disabilities, womxn, religiously affiliated, and/or neurodivergent.
As proven leaders in energy and climate, Fresh Energy understands that there are solutions within reach that can help us prevent the very worst damages of climate change. For nearly 30 years, Fresh Energy has been speeding Minnesota’s transition to a clean energy economy to ensure that our region enjoys good health, a vibrant economy, and thriving, equitable communities today and for generations to come. Our mission is to shape and drive bold policy solutions to achieve equitable carbon-neutral economies.
In order to achieve our mission, Fresh Energy is committed to working collaboratively alongside partners, community stakeholders, expert thought leaders and public officials to build a shared commitment to climate action. Achieving climate solutions at the pace and scale required to reach the consensus target identified by the world’s leading climate scientists – carbon neutral by 2050 – will require nothing less than an all-hands-on-deck effort. We really are all in this together!
Increasingly, Fresh Energy’s work is taking us into sectors of Minnesota’s economy where decarbonization is more challenging and not advancing at anywhere close to fast enough given the urgency of the climate crisis. Changing this dynamic is going to require new relationships, new approaches to climate advocacy, and significant public resolve. Within Fresh Energy, the Public Affairs team is responsible for coordinating this work, in concert with our expert policy staff and experienced communications team.
The ability to deliver effective public-facing issue campaigns will continue to be a critical need for Fresh Energy in the years ahead. Engaging and mobilizing individual Minnesotans, affected stakeholders and coalition partners will be a key component of our overall strategy to achieve successful outcomes across all of our priority program areas. This new senior associate position is an exciting opportunity for a seasoned campaign professional to further develop Fresh Energy’s capacity to deliver effective advocacy campaigns and become a key part of advancing climate solutions in Minnesota and beyond.
Lead Director, Public Affairs
Before you read further, check our video below for an overview of this role!
A. Develop and lead Fresh Energy’s capacity to deliver public issue campaigns, in coordination with Fresh Energy’s overall public affairs strategy.
- Develop and coordinate implementation of 501c3-compliant campaign strategies and comprehensive campaign plans in support of Fresh Energy programmatic priorities.
- Act as a key point of contact for external stakeholders and partners, including but not limited to partner organizations, community leaders, elected officials, and interested members of the public.
- In collaboration with Fresh Energy’s Communications department, develop and enhance Fresh Energy’s capacity to support public mobilization strategies, including use of VAN and associated tools.
- As directed, represent Fresh Energy in coalition settings and lead Fresh Energy’s participation in coordinated coalition mobilization strategies, such as lobby days, recruitment for hearings and public events, and other opportunities for public engagement.
- Ensure that Fresh Energy’s advocacy campaigns are intentionally inclusive and appropriately engage under-resourced communities, rural communities, BIPOC (Black, indigenous, and people of color) communities, and other traditionally under-represented Minnesotans.
- As needed, develop written materials in support of campaign projects and priorities.
- Working across all of Fresh Energy’s policy and communications teams, identify and develop new venues and opportunities for advocacy and mobilization in support of climate action.
B. Actively participate in Fresh Energy’s culture of collaboration and model our core values.
- Model organization core values such as acting with honesty and integrity and acting to advance equity and justice. You can read more about our core values and mission here: https://fresh-energy.org/about-us.
- Shape and support organization-wide systems such as our culture of fundraising, coaching, and transparency in developing individual and team goals.
- Exhibit a clear commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and provide leadership in continually advancing Fresh Energy’s commitment to equity and being an anti-racist organization. You can read more here: https://fresh-energy.org/our-commitment-to-diversity-equity-and-inclusion.
- Work effectively in the context of the Public Affairs team, the broader Fresh Energy team, and with external partners, enhancing collaboration by maintaining good communication, seeking and respecting diverse viewpoints, engendering trust, fulfilling responsibilities, and ensuring that all team members and their contributions are valued.
C.Adaptability in assuming new responsibilities as need arises in line with strategic direction.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Behavior:
- 3-5 years of direct experience leading and/or implementing public campaigns, including issue-based campaigns and/or candidate campaigns.
- Very strong written and verbal communication skills, including comfort with public speaking in person and through digital platforms.
- Working familiarity with commonly-used digital campaign tools and platforms, including use of VAN and various tools for implementing both in-person and digital mobilization efforts. Comfortable working in Windows environment, including MS Office, Teams and Zoom.
- Experience working successfully and collaboratively in coalition settings with individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives; demonstrated ability to anticipate and navigate potential conflicts.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence.
- Team player who desires working in an environment where working as a team is valued and practiced.
- Demonstrated ability to perform well in fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work occasional evenings/weekends is required.
- Persons in this position frequently lift, carry, push and/or pull objects weighing up to 20 pounds.
Compensation and Benefits
- Starting salary range $51,000 – $63,000 based on experience with opportunity for compensation change based on performance, strategic direction, equity across the organization, and organizational budget.
- Full-time, exempt position, working 40 hours per week. We believe in caring for others at work and at home. Fresh Energy is committed to keeping the workload in alignment with the true hours worked and respecting the space needed to take personal time to care for your wellbeing.
- 24 days of Personal Time Off (increases each year of employment), 15 paid holidays, and a flexible, family-friendly schedule; plus summer Fridays where the office closes at noon.
- We provide medical and dental plans, additional voluntary vision, short- and long-term disability, life, AD&D insurance, and 5 percent of annual salary contribution to 403(b) retirement plan on your first day with a 1:1 matching plan up to 3% of your pay. In addition, we incentivize transit, biking, and walking, offering a dollar-for-dollar bus pass match, $1 for each trip to and from work by bike or walk, and an indoor bike storage area, as well as gym, and showers available for Fresh Energy staff as part of being a tenant of the Historic Hamm Building.
- We foster a respectful, collaborative, and fun work environment. Learn more about working at Fresh Energy here: https://fresh-energy.org/our-team/working-at-fresh-energy/
- Generous parental leave after one-year of full-time employment. Eligible employees are entitled to up to twelve (12) weeks of unpaid leave under this policy. Fresh Energy will pay an eligible employee for the first six (6) weeks of leave with the rest of the leave being unpaid or being paid through the use of Personal Time Off.
- We promote and sponsor individual and joint professional workshops and trainings.
- Moving allowance up to $1,500 for candidates who would be relocating from outside of the Twin Cities.
- An organizational culture that seeks, integrates, and nurtures self-direction, collaboration, diversity, equity and inclusion with all employees.
Our hiring process and timeline
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled; preference given to applicants submitting prior to May 6, 2022.
- Our hiring team will begin selecting candidates for virtual screening interviews in early/mid-May 2022.
- Selected finalists will be invited to an in-person second-round interview; at that time, we will ask for three professional references and two writing samples.
- Ideally the selected candidate would begin work in late June or early July 2022.
- At your earliest convenience: Please submit a resume and brief (one page) cover letter including where/how you first found out about this job in a single PDF to our hiring team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fresh Energy’s Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employer Policy reflect our commitment to ensure equality, treat everyone with respect, and promote diversity in the workplace.