Wild Rivers Conservancy is currently recruiting applicants for one River Connections intern at the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway during the summer of 2023. Positions will be a minimum of 10 weeks, beginning June 1st, 2023.
Wild Rivers Conservancy is the official nonprofit partner of the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway. We inspire stewardship to forever ensure the rare ecological integrity of the St. Croix and Namekagon Riverway. Learn more at: www.wildriversconservancy.org
The Riverway, one of the nation’s first wild and scenic rivers, is a National Park consisting of 255 river miles that flow through some of the most scenic and least developed country in the Upper Midwest. Learn more at: www.nps.gov/sacn.
Description of Internship
This internship is responsible for assisting with K-12 environmental education programs and outdoor public programs to connect people to the Riverway and encourage stewardship of it and the watershed for generations to come. The day-to-day supervisor is the Community Engagement Coordinator.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Assist with the Rivers Are Alive K-12 environmental education programs at schools, summer camps and locations throughout the watershed
- Support Explore Wild Rivers public programs, such as kayaking, hiking, and birding
- Help to promote the Conservancy at community events such as parades and booths
- Work directly with volunteers and other program staff to deliver programs.
- Work with diverse partners, including local, state, and federal government agencies, and nonprofit organizations
- Maintain and care for program supplies and equipment.
- Contribute positively to the team environment
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident of the United States with a valid state driver’s license
- College student or recent graduate with coursework in biology education, natural resources, or a related field.
- General knowledge of the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway is helpful
- Excitement for the natural world and a demonstrated ability to share it with others
- Ability to work well both independently and as part of a team, be detail-oriented and organized, and to follow oral and written directions
- Ability to work with a flexible and changing schedule. Must be able to work some long days, weekends and evenings
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 pounds independently, and up to 50 pounds with assistance
- Must be able to begin internship on June 1, 2023.
Work Site and Conditions
- Interns will be based at the Wild Rivers Conservancy office in Osceola, WI.
- There will be travel throughout the upper St. Croix watershed in both Minnesota and Wisconsin
- This position will involve some physical activity, including walking, standing for long periods of time, and paddling a kayak or canoe at a variety of locations
Position and Wage Details
This is a temporary, full time internship ranging 32-40 hours weekly for a minimum of 10 weeks at a wage of $15/hr.
How to Apply
Send all of the following information:
- Cover letter. State the internship you are applying for, why you are interested in the internship and in working at the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway.
- Detailed resume, including work experience.
- Three references.
Community Engagement Manager
Wild Rivers Conservancy
(715) 483-3300 x 30
Deadline – Applications must be received by 5:00pm on Friday, February 10, 2023.