WHO WE ARE: The Minnesota Center for Environmental Advocacy has been the leading legal and scientific voice for Minnesota’s environment since 1974. A growing nonprofit with offices in Saint Paul and Duluth, MCEA supports its employees through a commitment to a living wage, a good benefits package, and regular opportunities for professional growth and development. We value diversity, equity, an inclusive culture, and respect in the workplace. MCEA was featured on the 2021 Best Nonprofits to Work For list by the Nonprofit Times.
POSITION SUMMARY: We seek an energetic and self-motivated Program Associate to join MCEA’s Northeastern Minnesota Program based in Duluth. The Program Associate will report to the Program Director and will play a key role in supporting the new program, developing the new position, and deepening MCEA’s presence in the region. As a newly created position in a growing organization, the Program Associate must be comfortable working with others to design the duties of the position and taking an active role in team projects. This is a great opportunity to join a nimble team that is committed to working and laughing hard together and to have a big impact on the organization’s future.
The ideal candidate would be:
- deeply committed to our mission;
- self-directed and excited to take on new challenges;
- a good listener who is capable of giving and receiving honest feedback;
- able to meet and exceed goals and deadlines and effectively enlist the help of coworkers;
- able to contribute positively to the creation of a diverse, equitable, inclusive team-oriented work environment that celebrates differences.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Community Engagement (33%): Taking an active role in deepening MCEA’s relationship with local communities in Northeastern Minnesota including and especially disproportionately-impacted communities. Representing MCEA at local events, engaging local media as directed, and providing support for program-focused digital communications. Participating as appropriate in fundraising to support MCEA’s work.
- Issue Advocacy (33%): Participating as an active team member on projects connected to the Northeastern Minnesota program. Assisting in developing and advancing MCEA policy positions and Northeastern Minnesota program goals including through research, writing, testimony, and presentations. Leading and coordinating special projects and research assignments as needed.
- Administrative Support (33%): Supporting the Duluth office and Northeastern Minnesota Program through administrative tasks including proactive meeting preparation including setting agendas, calendaring, and note-taking. Using electronic tools including Trello, Zoom, Slack, GoogleSuite, and EveryAction/VAN to drive program and project goals. Assisting the program director in administering the Duluth office by procuring necessary equipment and administering office policies and technology.
This position is based in Duluth, but the successful candidate will need to travel to the St. Paul main office 1-2 times per month. Travel reimbursement will be provided.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Community engagement, organizing, and/or digital communications experience preferred.
- Familiarity with digital tools including Trello, Zoom, Slack, GoogleSuite, and EveryAction/VAN preferred. Experience with similar platforms and ability to learn is required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills for building relationships and working cooperatively with MCEA partners and MCEA staff.
- Commitment to excellence in work product.
- Commitment to public interest environmental advocacy and environmental justice.
- Commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace and culture that values differences.
SALARY & BENEFITS: MCEA strives to create a mission-focused work environment that is equitable and inclusive. We offer a competitive nonprofit salary, including excellent benefits. MCEA highly values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. The annual salary range for this position is $35,440 – $41,300 with a great benefits package and generous paid time off.
REPORTS TO: Northeastern Minnesota Program Director.
TO APPLY: Please send your resume, cover letter, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 18, 2021 for priority consideration. Please also indicate in your e-mail where you located this job posting. You must submit all materials directly to this email address – no applications via third party website (such as Indeed) will be accepted.