Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota/Hybrid
Job overview and requirements
Fresh Energy is hiring a full-time program/development associate to support our Energy Transition and Development teams. The person hired for this position will spend about half their time providing administrative support to the Energy Transition team and the other half providing administrative support to the Development team. We’re looking for someone who is flexible, adaptable, and enjoys variety in their workday – sometimes you’ll be helping program leads with scheduling or taking minutes in important meetings, other times you’ll be helping the grants team manage information flow or track down proposal details. You’ll be detail-oriented, a self-starter, and eager to be part of a team creating a clean energy future that benefits all.
This position will be located at our office in Saint Paul, Minnesota; however, all Fresh Energy staff are able to work at both Fresh Energy’s office space and at home/remotely depending on the function. For this role the candidate is requested to be at Fresh Energy for 2 of the days of the regular 5-day work week and can spend the remaining 3 days working from within the Twin Cities or remotely. To promote safer transition for all employees prior to using Fresh Energy space, we are a fully vaccinated workplace.
Fresh Energy continues to be committed to its outcome to create an inclusive, diverse, and equitable workplace. Our learning continues with our commitment to be an anti-racist organization: https://fresh-energy.org/anti-racism
Fresh Energy’s mission is to shape and drive bold policy solutions to create equitable carbon-neutral economies. As 30-year leaders on energy and climate, we understand that there are solutions within reach that can help us prevent the very worst damages of climate change. But we must be bold and move quickly. Using policy as a primary lever for change, we are working toward a vision for a just, prosperous, and resilient future powered by a shared commitment to a carbon-neutral economy.
Our Energy Transition team focuses on driving economy-wide decarbonization through strategies that blend energy efficiency, strategic electrification, innovation, and more across the industrial, transportation, agricultural, and building economies. Fresh Energy is leading this work in the Midwest and the program is growing quickly, creating a need in the program and across the organization for more administrative support to ensure we can meet our ambitious decarbonization goals. This position has the potential to grow into a full-time policy associate, so this is a great opportunity to get a foot in the door if you’re passionate about clean energy!
Senior Lead, Philanthropy
- Provide primary administrative support to Fresh Energy’s Energy Transition and Development teams, including scheduling, grants and donor data management, coordination between teams, assisting with grants compliance, and working as needed to support program and development goals.
- Provide scheduling support for Senior Lead, Innovation and Impact, through calendar management, meetings scheduling, and correspondence with partners and collaborators.
- Attend internal and external meetings as assigned, taking minutes and providing logistical support.
- Assist the Senior Development Manager with grants and donor data management using Fresh Energy’s CRM system.
- Collaborate with communications, development, and public affairs staff on CRM (customer relationship management) maintenance.
- Collaborate with communications and development staff to provide events support as needed, including planning and logistics.
- Participate in culture of collaboration and model our core values.
- In collaboration with the development staff, participate in fund development and relationship building efforts.
- Work effectively in the context of your immediate team, the broader Fresh Energy team, and with external partners; enhance collaboration by maintaining good communication, seeking and respecting diverse viewpoints, engendering trust, fulfilling responsibilities, and ensuring that all team members and their contributions are valued.
- Model behavior and contribute to a culture that is consistent with Fresh Energy’s core values; A critical part of achieving our mission is by living the values we endorse.
- Attitude of openness and continuously seeking improvements in workflow, expertise, or individual skill.
- Exhibit a clear commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and provide leadership in continually advancing Fresh Energy’s commitment to equity and being an anti-racist organization.
- Other duties as assigned and in coordination between position holder and Senior Lead for Philanthropy.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Behavior:
- Experience with or knowledge of climate and clean energy issues.
- Experience with or knowledge of agriculture a plus!
- Self-starter who can work independently.
- Planful and results oriented.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence.
- Demonstrated ability to perform well in a fast-paced and hybrid environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Solid computer skills in Windows environment, including MS Office, CRM experience preferred.
- Team player who desires working in an environment where working as a team is valued and practiced.
- Ability to work occasional evenings/weekends is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred or equivalent experience.
Compensation and benefits
- Starting salary range ($40,000-$49,600) based on experience with opportunity for compensation change based on performance, equity across the organization, and organizational budget.
- Full-time, exempt position, working 40 hours per week. We believe in caring for others at work and at home. Fresh Energy is committed to keeping the workload in alignment with the true hours worked and respecting the space needed to take personal time to care for your wellbeing.
- 24 days of PTO (increases each year of employment), 14 paid holidays, and a flexible, family-friendly schedule.
- We provide medical and dental plans, additional voluntary vision, short- and long-term disability, life, AD&D insurance, and 5 percent of annual salary contribution to 403(b) retirement plan from your first day at Fresh Energy. Fresh Energy will provide contribute a match of 1:1 up to 3% of your eligible gross salary should you decide to contribute to your plan.
- In addition, we incentivize transit, biking, and walking, offering a dollar-for-dollar bus pass match, $1 for each trip to and from work by bike or walk, and an indoor bike storage area, as well as gym, and showers available for Fresh Energy staff as part of being a tenant of the Historic Hamm Building.
- Generous maternity and paternity leave after one-year of full-time employment. Eligible employees are entitled to up to twelve (12) weeks of unpaid leave under this policy. Fresh Energy will pay an eligible employee for the first six (6) weeks of leave with the rest of the leave being unpaid or being paid through the use of PTO. A full-time employee can carry-over the eligible 80 PTO hours each fiscal year plus up to an additional 80 hours of leave to cover the remaining 6-weeks that is not paid by Fresh Energy.
- All our employees are fully vaccinated for COVID19, and we are testing a hybrid work-model. We update our in-person protocols to safeguard the health and safety for all employees when they want to use the office.
- We promote and sponsor individual and joint professional workshops and trainings.
- We are intentional in co-creating a relevant and inclusive flexible hybrid workspace. We foster a respectful, collaborative, and fun work environment. Learn more about working at Fresh Energy here: https://fresh-energy.org/our-team/working-at-fresh-energy/
- Fresh Energy’s internal policy considers, integrates, and adapts to staff experiences and needs in our workplaces and lives. We are currently testing having Short Fridays where the office closes at noon every Friday.
Our hiring process and timeline
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled; preference given to applicants submitting on or before October 14, 2022.
- Our hiring team will select candidates for a first-round, 30-minute interview, via video conference or phone in late October 2022.
- Finalists will be invited back for an approximately 60-minute second-round interview, also via video conference or phone. At that time, we will ask for three references and a writing sample.
- Ideally the selected candidate would begin work in November or December 2022.
- Fresh Energy’s Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employer Policy reflect our commitment to ensure equality, treat everyone with respect, and promote diversity in the workplace.
E-mail cover letter and resume with the subject line “Program/Development Associate” at email@example.com. Please include cover letter and resume in one PDF document with your name as the title. No phone calls, please.