Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Job overview and requirements:
Are you the type of person who understands complex policy and has a knack for explaining complicated information in a way that is approachable, concise, and motivating? Do you enjoy communicating and writing about clean energy? Do you have an interest in engaging the public and stakeholders in regulatory and legislative advocacy in clean energy? Would you enjoy helping with the launch of a regional coalition to reduce carbon emissions from buildings? Do you want to be challenged at work, have a lot of fun, be inspired frequently, and make a significant impact at an innovative nonprofit working on making more of our economy run on clean, carbon-free energy that benefits all Minnesotans?
Fresh Energy is hiring a full-time Policy Communications and Coalition Associate to join our team. This position will assist in implementing approachable policy and program-related Fresh Energy communications tactics. An immediate priority for this new team member is to play a key communications and administrative/logistical role in building the Midwest Building Decarbonization Coalition (Midwest BDC), a regional initiative founded and led by Fresh Energy. We are looking for someone who is a great writer, detail oriented, and ready to break new ground for the Midwest BDC and Fresh Energy.
Note: In the first year, this new team member will evenly divide their time between the Midwest BDC and Fresh Energy.
Fresh Energy’s mission is to shape and drive bold policy solutions to create equitable carbon-neutral economies. As thirty-year leaders on energy and climate, we understand that there are solutions within reach that can help us prevent the very worst damages of climate change. But we must be bold and move quickly.
Using policy as a primary lever for change, we are working toward a vision for a just, prosperous, and resilient future powered by a shared commitment to a carbon-neutral economy. Because progress will require public and political will, as well as technology, Fresh Energy is doubling down on inspiring the public and building a big tent where people across the region, and across the political landscape, can build and mobilize toward a common vision.
Fresh Energy’s focus on reaching and mobilizing more people with clean energy solutions is crucial at this time, and to that end, Fresh Energy is expanding its staff, creating a great opportunity to join our team.
Senior Communications and Engagement Manager
A. Logistics, communication, and outreach support for the Midwest Building Decarbonization Coalition (Midwest BDC): Assist the Midwest BDC in growing the coalition by providing administrative support and expanding coalition communications and outreach efforts.
- Coordinate logistics for monthly coalition meetings including scheduling, reminder, and follow up emails.
- Attend monthly coalition meetings and manage documentation of attendance and minutes.
- Maintain member lists and coordinate with coalition partner organizations to add new members.
- Establish and implement new member onboarding process and meetings with consultation from coalition leaders.
- Help to draw up and execute contracts for subgrants and participation stipends.
- Coordinate with co-leads on documenting and planning needed support as coalition follows growth and expansion trajectory.
- Monitor and follow up on coalition website information and connection request form submissions, coordinating with coalition co-leaders.
- Coordinate with partner organizations to add new members to Midwest BDC membership.
- Support Midwest BDC co-leaders by maintaining and updating Midwest BDC website and listserv content by posting/sharing meeting minutes, articles, reports, new coalition members, staff lists, working group updates, and more on an ongoing basis.
- Determine and implement effective communication plan and tactics to engage Midwest BDC partners, including a social media plan and new social media accounts.
- With guidance from Midwest BDC co-leads, develop branded and aligned education, outreach, and communication materials including one-pagers, whitepapers, presentation decks, training support materials, and newsletters.
- Write and disseminate engaging and compelling social media posts for Midwest BDC social media accounts that elevate the coalition’s work, partners, industry reports, thought leaders, and more.
B. Communications and engagement for Fresh Energy policy work across the organization: Collaborate with communications and policy staff to develop content and systems that inspire target constituencies.
- Assist in writing content for and maintaining Fresh Energy social media accounts.
- Live-tweet select legislative meetings and hearings related to Fresh Energy’s clean energy and policy goals.
- Create and maintain database of clean energy and climate media as well as major media outlets in the Midwest, including Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio.
- Track and document media mentions for Midwest BDC and Fresh Energy.
- Assist in planning and writing blog posts and newsletter articles for Midwest BDC and Fresh Energy websites and communications tools that center people, policies, programs, and goals.
- Provide event support and planning assistance for online and in-person Midwest BDC and Fresh Energy events.
- Effectively communicate via newsletter articles and blog posts Fresh Energy’s legislative and agency-related policy updates, successes, and news by distilling and complex policy concepts in way that is engaging and meaningful to a general Midwest audience.
- Assist policy staff in a communications and policy interpretation capacity to writing whitepapers and reports, as directed by communications.
- Assist with visioning and/or creating graphic interpretations of clean energy concepts and data.
- With guidance from public affairs and communications write call to action messaging that motivate Fresh Energy stakeholders to mobilize and engage in climate and clean energy decisions in Minnesota.
C. Participate in culture of collaboration and model our core values.
- In collaboration with the development staff, participate in fund development and relationship building efforts.
- Work effectively in the context of your immediate team, the broader Fresh Energy team, and with external partners; enhance collaboration by maintaining good communication, seeking and respecting diverse viewpoints, engendering trust, fulfilling responsibilities, and ensuring that all team members and their contributions are valued.
Model behavior and contribute to a culture that is consistent with Fresh Energy’s core values; A critical part of achieving our mission is by living the values we endorse.
D. Other duties as assigned and in coordination between position holder and senior communications and engagement manager.
- Bachelor’s Degree and two or more years of experience in a public-facing policy or policy-adjacent communications role.
- Commitment to engaging the general public in clean energy policies and connecting those policies to addressing climate change.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Ability and experience synthesizing complex policy information to write approachable and engaging materials for a general audience.
- Self-starter who is able to work independently.
- Planful and results-oriented.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence.
- Demonstrated ability to perform well in a fast-paced environment.
- Solid computer skills in Windows environment, including MS Office.
- Team player who desires working in an environment where working as a team is valued and practiced.
- Ability to work occasional evenings/weekends is required.
- Persons in this position frequently lift, carry, push and/or pull objects weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Experience executing communications plans.
- Commitment to the mission of Fresh Energy.
- Education and prior job experience in both policy and communications roles.
- Strong technical aptitude including experience in WordPress or similar content management systems. Experience with Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and Audition a plus.
Compensation and benefits
- Starting salary range: $42,000-50,000 based on experience.
- Full-time, exempt position, working 40 hours per week. We believe in work-life balance and are committed to keeping the workload in alignment with the true hours worked.
- 24 days of PTO (increases each year of employment), 14 paid holidays, and a flexible, family-friendly schedule; plus summer Fridays, the office closes at noon.
- We provide medical and dental plans, additional voluntary vision, short- and long-term disability, life, AD&D insurance, and 5 percent of annual salary contribution to 403(b) retirement plan after one year. In addition, we incentivize transit, biking, and walking, offering a dollar for dollar bus pass match, $1 for each trip to and from work by bike or walk, an indoor bike storage area and showers, and an optional one-time work-from-home allowance.
- We foster a respectful, collaborative, and fun work environment. Learn more about working at Fresh Energy here: https://fresh-energy.org/our-team/working-at-fresh-energy/
- This position will be located at our office in Saint Paul, Minnesota; however, all Fresh Energy staff are currently working from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Our hiring process and timeline
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled; preference given to applicants submitting on or before February 28, 2021.
- Our hiring team will select finalists for an initial 30-minute interview via video conference or over the phone in early March.
- Finalists will be invited back for an approximately 60-minute second-round interview, also via video conference or phone. At that time we will ask for three references and two work samples relevant to this position, e.g. professional writing samples, or other relevant materials.
- Ideally the selected candidate would begin work in late March or early April.
- Fresh Energy’s Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employer Policy reflect our commitment to ensure equality, treat everyone with respect, and promote diversity in the workplace.
E-mail cover letter and resume with the subject line “Policy Communications and Coalition Associate” to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.