Applications will be reviewed and considered as they are received.
Offers will be made on a rolling basis. Apply soon!
Wild Rivers Conservancy is currently recruiting applicants for up to two Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) internships at the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway during the summer of 2022. Positions will be 12-14 weeks beginning June 1st, 2022.
The Riverway, one of the nation’s first wild and scenic rivers, is a National Park consisting of 255 river miles that flow through some of the most scenic and least developed country in the Upper Midwest.
Wild Rivers Conservancy is the official nonprofit partner of the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway. We inspire stewardship to forever ensure the rare ecological integrity of the St. Croix and Namekagon Riverway.
Learn more at: www.wildriversconservancy.org
Description of Internship
These positions are with Wild Rivers Conservancy, and are supervised by the Invasive Species Coordinator. The internship provides students with practical work experience in the field of invasive species management and education, as well as volunteer program development and implementation. Interns will have the opportunity to learn many new skills from a variety of agencies and organizations, all while being outside working on the St. Croix River and throughout the watershed.
- Educate boaters at landings along the lower St. Croix River about invasive species identification, threats, and preventive measures
- Visit marinas and bait dealers along the St. Croix River to provide educational invasive species materials
- Assist with hosting AIS volunteer programs such as Project RED, Snapshot Day, Algae Alert Network trainings, and a boat landing education blitz weekend
- Monitor the Riverway and watershed for invasive species
- Collaborate with and assist partners with invasive species monitoring and management including working with the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway (NPS) resource management team
- Participate with community outreach events and educational outreach activities in coordination with the Rivers Are Alive youth program
- Work with many and diverse partners, including local, state, and federal governments agencies throughout the watershed
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident of the United States with a valid state driver’s license
- College student or recent graduate with coursework in biology, natural resources, or a related field. Other majors or courses of study will be considered, but some background in natural resources is helpful
- General knowledge of the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway is helpful
- Ability to work well both independently and as part of a team, be detail-oriented and organized, and to follow oral and written directions
- Ability to work with a flexible and changing schedule. Must be able to work some long days, weekends and evenings
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 pounds independently, and up to 50 pounds with assistance
Work Site and Conditions
- Interns will be based at the Wild Rivers Conservancy office in Osceola, WI.
- There will be travel throughout the upper St. Croix watershed in both Minnesota and Wisconsin
- Work in the field is required and will involve some physical activity, including walking, standing for long periods of time, managing invasive species and paddling a kayak or canoe at a variety of locations
- Schedules can be variable or on a week to week basis
- Full COVID vaccination is required for position eligibility.
Position and Wage Details
This is a temporary, full time internship ranging 32-40 hours weekly for a period of 12-14 weeks at a wage of $14/hr.
How to Apply
Send all of the following information:
- Cover letter. State the internship you are applying for, why you are interested in the internship and in working at the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway.
- Detailed resume, including work experience.
- Three references.
Community Engagement Coordinator
Wild Rivers Conservancy
(715) 483-3300 x 30
Deadline – Applications will be reviewed & considered as they are received, so apply soon!
Applications must be received by 5:00pm on Friday, February 18, 2022.