Date: July 2023 or until filled
FLSA status: Regular full time, exempt
Salary Range: $60,000-$75,000 annual salary based on experience
Benefits: 2 weeks PTO, option to participate in organizational health and dental insurance, 9 holidays per year. See details in Personnel Policies.
Reports to: Chief Operations Officer
Cooperative Energy Futures (CEF) is a member-owned cooperative business focused on advancing energy democracy through community-controlled renewable energy and energy efficiency. CEF is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer and sees unique and diverse perspectives as essential to be able to achieve our mission and live our values. Cooperative Energy Futures develops and operates community solar gardens, currently with 8 projects across Minnesota offsetting the electricity needs of 700 member households at an immediate net savings to our members. CEF has a particular focus on economic and racial justice, working to ensure that all projects are developed using an economic model that is deeply accessible to members regardless of income or credit and including options available at no upfront cost and net monthly savings, as well as prioritizing workforce equity in the solar industry. CEF uses member participation in these projects to build community wealth and activate members from many different communities around a vision for our energy future that is rooted in community-controlled clean energy.
This position is responsible for designing, managing, and implementing member engagement and outreach, solar subscription sales, and ongoing member support and communications. This position will work with and guide an outreach team whose role integrates communications, community outreach, engagement, sales, and customer support roles working in and with a wide range of member communities. The outreach team will primarily engage members in community solar subscriptions and rooftop solar for low-income households, but also on other clean energy opportunities that may arise. This person will be responsible for both team management and outreach strategy development as well as direct outreach and subscriber engagement.
Develop and Maintain Outreach and Engagement Strategy
- Coordinate with other Outreach and Engagement team members and community allies to develop an overall community engagement strategy for reaching new members and sustaining engagement over time.
- Develop and maintain timelines and targets for the Outreach and Engagement Team, including to recruit new subscribers to projects and activate existing members around new opportunities.
Manage and Direct the Subscription Outreach Team
- Directly manage other members of the Outreach and Engagement Team, including developing work plans and ensuring work activities align with the outreach strategy and team goals. The team currently has four members with a 5th position focused on communications expected soon.
- Coach other members of the Subscription Outreach team and build team capacity, including coordinating with existing CEF staff and outside trainers to provide technical, sales, and outreach training as necessary to ensure team effectiveness.
- Manage formal relationships, expectations, and obligations under Memoranda of Understanding with partner organizations assisting with community engagement.
Build Ongoing Member Engagement:
- Coordinate with staff across the CEF team to identify opportunities for broader member engagement on an ongoing basis.
- Develop and adapt a member engagement strategy to develop member engagement and leadership; including involvement in existing staff-led activities, fostering community between members, and supporting the development of member-led initiatives.
- Coordinate member engagement around Annual Member meetings and other member decision-making.
- Guide the Outreach and Engagement team in facilitating ongoing member engagement as part of the larger team goals.
- Other outreach and engagement projects as assigned.
- 2 years experience in community outreach, organizing, or sales to individuals.
- 2 years experience with managing other staff, including helping team members set work-plans and achieve goals.
- Experience with meeting facilitation and developing action plans as a group.
- Personable, outgoing, and able to easily reach and build relationships with new people from a wide range of backgrounds.
- Able to retain complex and detailed information about subscriptions and solar projects and guide staff in communicating clearly and simply.
- Must be reliable, self-motivated individual who can take direction and be trusted to work independently with minimal supervision.
- A team player with strong ability to work in a collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and juggle time-sensitive tasks on deadline.
- Commitment to clean energy, working with community-based organizations, and empowering culturally diverse communities.
- Ability to maintain confidential information.
- Access to reliable form of transportation.
- Experience with collaborating with other organizations around shared goals.
- Experience with customer relations, customer communications, and addressing customer concerns and issues.
- Existing relationships with community-based organizations in one or more target communities.
- Familiarity with community solar or other clean energy outreach.
- Experience volunteering or working on environmental or social justice issues.
Working conditions include a mix of remote and in-office work supporting and coordinating staff and supporting direct outreach in subscriber communities. Community outreach and subscriber engagement activities will include occasional evening and weekend work during periods of active community outreach. Periodic travel to other parts of Minnesota (primary areas are around Mankato, Faribault, Northfield, and Red Wing areas, the Twin Cities metro area, and St. Cloud region) will be necessary to conduct outreach to local communities. This role will require the ability to secure personal transportation to these areas as needed or coordinate transportation with other team members.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY POLICY STATEMENT
CEF will not discriminate against or harass any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, familial status, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, or status with regard to public assistance. While not yet mandated by federal of state law, CEF is committed to providing the same protection against discrimination for any employee or applicant because of gender identity. We will take affirmative steps to ensure that all of our company’s employment practices are free of discrimination. Such employment practices include, but are not limited to, the following: hiring, promotion, demotion, transfer, recruitment or recruitment advertising, selection, layoff, disciplinary action, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation, and selection for training, including apprenticeship. We will provide reasonable accommodation to applicants and employees with disabilities whenever possible.
Submit a Resume and a Written Statement explaining why you are interested in this position to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will send additional follow up questions and interview scheduling to candidates we wish to interview. This position will remain open until filled.