Location: Twin Cities
Classification: Full Time/Salary
Reports to: Executive Director
Friends of the Boundary Waters Wilderness is seeking a full-time Outreach and Volunteer Coordinator. This position will be responsible for planning and coordinating public events and for representing the Friends at events and presentations. This position will also recruit, organize and train volunteers to assist at events and with other work at the Friends.
- The Outreach and Volunteer Coordinator reports directly to the Executive Director
- The Outreach and Volunteer Coordinator works effectively with other departments within the Friends, including Communications, Development, Operations, Policy, and Education.
- Plan public events such as expos, community events, rallies, the Minnesota State Fair, town halls, and others
- Represent the Friends at public events
- Develop a strategy to prioritize the Friends participation at public events and assess new opportunities based on the strategy
- Organize, maintain, and order materials needed for events
- Recruit, train, and organize volunteers for events and other tasks
- Develop a system of incentives to retain volunteers
- Maintain volunteer notes in the database
- Regularly survey staff to assess volunteer needs
- Deliver public presentations on topics relating to the Friends mission
- Work closely with the Policy Director and the Citizen Action Network to mobilize volunteers for advocacy work
- At least 2 years of experience organizing, or planning events preferred
- Experience recruiting, training and managing volunteers
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking skills
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage competing priorities
- Friendly, enthusiastic and positive attitude
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends
- Willingness and ability to travel by car
Passion for preserving the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness and its ecosystem
- Paid vacation and sick leave, health insurance, and a 403(b) retirement plan.
- In addition to paid vacation and sick leave, the Friends provides a $300 stipend and five additional paid vacation days to each employee to take time off and recharge in the wilderness.
- Hours of unpaid leave for parents to attend a child’s school conferences, classroom activities, childcare or any other childhood program.
- $50 per month transportation allowance for public transit or parking.
- We encourage life-long learning and ongoing professional development.
Submit a cover letter, resume, three references, and two writing samples to:
Ms. Bree Sikorski
Friends of the Boundary Waters Wilderness
401 North Third Street, Suite 290
Minneapolis, MN 55401
In the subject line of any electronic communication, please put “Outreach and Volunteer Coordinator Position.”
Applications will be accepted until May 1, 2020.
At the Friends, we have a clear vision to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, to stay, and do their best work. The Friends is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.