Job Title: Operations and Support Specialist
Reports To: Interim HR & Operations Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Hours: Full-Time, generally M-F 9-5, with some nights and weekends
Compensation: $42,000 – $65,000 plus a benefits package including health, dental, and life insurance as well as vacation, and sick and safe time.
Location: Minneapolis, MN office – Must be willing to be in central office at least 50% of the time and during regular business hours of 9-5PM
Summary and Organization Description: The Operations and Support Specialists is a service-oriented role. You will work as part of an Operations and Support Team to manage operations at our offices and support the work of Land Stewardship Project (LSP) staff, board, and members, and the staff and board of our sister organization Land Stewardship Action Fund (LSAF).
You will be joining a supportive people-oriented team currently made up of two Operations & Support Specialists, an Interim Human Resources Director, and a Finance Director. We pride ourselves as being the hub of supporting all things infrastructure within LSP. We strive to create a flexible and supportive work environment. The Operations team supports 30+ staff who work remotely and from designated offices in Minneapolis, Lewiston and Montevideo. The incumbent will be required to spend approximately 50% of your time in the Minneapolis office.
This Operations & Support Specialist will ebb and flow between supporting the organization’s Interim Executive Director and handling day-to-day financial responsibilities. Both areas of responsibility are critical to supporting organizational health and systems. You will also work with the other Specialists in maintaining elements of positive redundancy within our team’s work. You will pride yourself in attention to detail and enjoy troubleshooting and proposing solutions to our current systems and workflows.
LSP is an organization grounded in its mission and its membership. It seeks to do work in a way that the health of the land is enhanced, small- and mid-sized farms thrive, communities are prosperous and just, and true democracy flourishes. The mission of the Land Stewardship Project is to foster an ethic of stewardship for farmland, to promote sustainable agriculture, and to develop healthy communities.
Roles & Responsibilities:
Executive & Organizational Assistance (45%):
- Provide high-level administrative support and assistance to the Executive Director and governing boards.
- Assist with meeting logistics, and take minutes at board meetings, and others as requested.
- Assist with travel planning, scheduling, and communication for Executive Director, etc.
- Provide high-level administrative support and assistance to the Interim Executive Director.
- Assist with scheduling and meeting logistics. Send reminders, prepare agendas and supporting materials for meetings. Disseminate materials in advance and record meeting minutes, as requested.
- Help coordinate and facilitate communication for Interim Executive Director.
- Assist with travel and event planning.
- Collect timesheets for directors.
- Builds a close working relationship with the Interim Executive Director.
Financial Assistance (35%):
- Prepare weekly bank deposits and vendor payments.
- Assist the Finance Director with communication with staff and vendors.
- Complete regular reports on payables and receivables.
- Outstanding check research.
- Collect expense reports and submit to supervisors for approval.
- Collate and code month-end reports and credit card statements.
- Participate in preparing for and the completion of the annual audit.
Operations, Office & Facilities Management (20%):
- Provide front-end support and assistance for LSPs phone system including answering and directing calls, and technical support.
- Maintain updated internal and external phone lists, organizational charts and support the Interim HR & Operations Director with basic administrative and organizational tasks.
- Assist with organization-wide logistics of online meetings and webinars.
- Maintain files and filing system, digitize records, manage documents retention policy.
- Facilitate the efficient operation of the offices.
- Order, maintain, and organize supplies.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills to support a collaborative work environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy, strong data entry skills.
- 3+ years in office/operations/administrative assisting.
- Preferred experience in basic accounting functions.
- High degree of organization and ability to manage time efficiently.
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Ability to learn new software quickly and train others.
- Some IT experience helpful.
- Experience creating systems for organizing supplies, files, etc. preferred.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle for occasional travel to the offices and other events.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Work Environment: We care more about whether you share our values and can successfully manage and advance your responsibilities than we do having you working from our office. Most of your time will be spent in front of a computer. This is a hybrid remote, and in-person work position and having a dedicated workspace and maintaining works hours reflective of office hours (M-F 9-5) is preferable. We will provide you with or support the technology necessary to complete your job duties both remotely and in-office. We currently have staff that live in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
Physical Demands: This is a computer/office work-based role; however, occasional physical demands could include setting up for events, food hauling and preparation, loading and unloading materials for trainings, setting up tables and chairs, tabling at outreach events and filing. This would require the ability to carry 20-60lbs, lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
To APPLY: In one PDF document, send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Operations and Support Specialist: YOUR NAME” in the subject line. Attn: Natalia Espina, Interim HR & Operations Director. Accepting application on a rolling basis until filled. Phone calls will not be accepted.
Land Stewardship Project (LSP)/Land Stewardship Action Fund (LSAF) is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from Women, Black, Indigenous and people of color (BIPOC), and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions.
Applicants with Disabilities: Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you apply.
Women, Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC), LGBTQIA+ candidates, people with disabilities, as well as rural and urban farmers are strongly encouraged to apply.