OVERVIEW: Connect diverse stakeholders with resources on environmental and conservation issues important to them. Help MEP expand its base of outreach and understand the interests of frontline communities, especially in relation to sulfide mining proposals. Partner on environmental justice issues and help frontline communities achieve their goals in relation to protecting and restoring Lake Superior and its watershed.
JOB STATUS: 0.5 FTE (20 hours per week)
COMPENSATION: $20.00/hour, plus access to pro-rated benefits package including vacation time, sick leave, and holidays.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Work with diverse communities along the St. Louis River, including Indigenous and other frontline communities, to develop relationships and engage on issues of shared significance.
- Provide support and serve in an advisory capacity to MEP’s Mining Cluster (a working committee of nonprofits engaged in mining issues)
- Work with MEP member groups and emerging environmental groups in the region to identify community organizing needs, and to assist in carrying out campaigns and activities.
TRAVEL: The Organizer will travel for work within the Duluth and Cloquet area frequently. Organizer may at times need access to a personal vehicle. All relevant travel expenses including mileage will be reimbursed.
ABOUT MEP: The Minnesota Environmental Partnership (MEP), a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit, is a statewide coalition of environmental and conservation nonprofits. For more information, visit www.mepartnership.org
- Bachelor’s degree in related field (environmental sciences, American Indian studies, political science, social work, etc.) OR One years’ experience in community organizing, conservation policy or related field.
- Demonstrated experience working with people of color and frontline communities.
Additional desired qualifications
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including public speaking.
- Comfort using technology and an ability to learn new technologies quickly. Training will be available.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
MEP recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the experience of its employees and members and in supporting its mission. As such, MEP is committed to attracting and retaining employees who contribute to the cultural diversity of our workplace. We encourage interested applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
HOW TO APPLY: Please email a resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position to: email@example.com.
CONTACT: Questions may be addressed to Andrew Slade, 218-727-0800, firstname.lastname@example.org
DEADLINE: Posting open until position is filled. MEP is hoping to have the Organizer begin work no later than June 1, 2019.