Major Gifts Officer
Northeastern Minnesotans for Wilderness
Campaign to Save the Boundary Waters
We’re looking for a passionate and motivated Major Gifts Associate to join the Campaign to Save the Boundary Waters’ growing team in the Twin Cities. Join a great team of people who are dedicated to protecting the Boundary Waters in a highly challenging and intellectually engaging environment.
The Boundary Waters, the largest Wilderness Area east of the Rockies and north of the Everglades, is one of “50 Places of a Lifetime” according to National Geographic.
Unfortunately, the Chilean mining company Antofagasta and its subsidiary Twin Metals have proposed building dangerous sulfide-ore copper mines along waterways that flow into the Boundary Waters, Voyageurs National Park, and Quetico Park. The area’s clean water and rich aquatic ecosystem are particularly vulnerable to acid mine drainage from this type of mining.
The Campaign to Save the Boundary Waters, led by Northeastern Minnesotans for Wilderness, is working to ensure permanent protection for the Boundary Waters Wilderness, America’s most visited Wilderness and Minnesota’s crown jewel, from proposed sulfide-ore copper mining.
The Major Gifts Officer will grow and manage a major donor program including identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major donors and be an integral part of our fundraising team collectively working to raise $2 to $3 million annually.
KEY JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Take the lead on planning and executing a successful major donor program for the organization
- Manage your own major donor portfolio and solicit major gifts
- Assist other key staff and board members with managing their donor portfolios
- Create compelling materials, content and storytelling about the organization and the Campaign’s mission. Build relationships with donors and potential donors by sending regular communications and talking in-person and on the phone
- Be integrated and informed on the breadth of the Campaign’s history, current work, and strategic plans in order to represent the organization as you meet with donors/potential donors
- Maintain programs to update, recognize, and cultivate major donors
- Work collaboratively with fundraising and other department staff on materials, plans, and communications for and with major donors
- Maintain excellent records and supporter database, assist with targeted fundraising and strategies to strengthen donor relationships and retention
- Assist with key fundraising and donor appreciation events throughout the year
- Provide regular reports analyzing progress toward goals
- Experience in conservation, political, governmental and/or nonprofit fundraising and development or other relevant background
- Experience soliciting major gifts of $1,000 to $10,000+
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to build relationships with prospective donors
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint (Experience working with donor databases a plus)
- Ability to independently manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Flexibility and willingness to work as a team player
- Passion for protecting Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness
- Committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in everyday work and in fulfilling the mission of the organization
- Ambitious and takes initiative, committed to getting the job done
- Willingness and ability to travel
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- The Major Gifts Office would be a full-time salaried position with Northeastern Minnesotans for Wilderness, an IRS recognized 501c3 organization
- Compensation includes a competitive salary and an excellent package of health and other employee benefits
- Position located in Minneapolis, MN with occasional regional/national travel
Please email your resume, a cover letter and three references to Sam@SavetheBoundaryWaters.org with subject line “Major Gifts Officer Application” by February 15, 2019.
Northeastern Minnesotans for Wilderness and the Campaign to Save the Boundary Waters are committed to equal opportunity in employment. All qualified persons are invited to apply.