Location: St. Paul
MCEA is seeking a session only, full time Legislative Associate. Under direction of the Legislative Director and Director of Public Engagement, the Legislative Associate will assist in implementing MCEA’s legislative strategy. Direct legislative experience, preferably in the Minnesota Legislature, is required.
MCEA has been the scientific and legal voice for Minnesota’s environment since 1974, and one of our strongest assets is our credibility with legislators, regulators, and the public. The Legislative Associate is a representative of MCEA at the Minnesota Legislature and must be able to maintain and enhance this credibility in testimony and interactions with legislators and staff.
- Under direction of the Legislative Director, set up and attend meetings with members of the Minnesota Legislature to seek support for MCEA positions and provide briefings on key environmental issues;
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with Legislators, legislative and agency staff, members of other environmental and conservation groups, other stakeholders, and MCEA staff;
- Prepare written analyses, testimony, coalition letters, and background materials in support of MCEA legislative objectives;
- Monitor and track legislative activity including bill introductions, committee hearing notices, update our internal legislative bill tracker, and maintain updated legislative information on the MCEA website;
- Supervise volunteers; and
- Carry out other duties and projects as assigned by the Legislative Director and Director of Public Engagement.
- Minimum of one year’s relevant experience in state legislative work, preferably in Minnesota;
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, government, environmental sciences, public policy, or related field;
- A high level of energy and passion toward protection of the environment;
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Lobbying experience at the Minnesota Legislature;
- Knowledge of Minnesota environmental, energy, natural resources laws; and
- Advanced degree in law, public policy, or a related field.
Schedule and Compensation
This is a full-time, session only position for the 2019 Legislative Session, running through approximately May 20, 2019. Compensation is dependent on experience. This temporary position is exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act and not eligible for benefits.
Send electronic cover letter, resume and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Legislative Associate. Application deadline is close of business on Wednesday, December 5.
The Minnesota Center for Environmental Advocacy is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, LGBT individuals, and women.