LOCATION: St. Paul
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Kevin Reuther, Chief Legal Officer, Evan Mulholland, Senior Attorney
JOB STATUS: Full-Time, One-Year Paid Position (Sept. 2021 – Sept. 2022)
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
The Minnesota Center for Environmental Advocacy has been the leading legal and scientific voice for Minnesota’s environment since 1974. We advocate in state and federal courts, administrative proceedings, at the legislature, and in the realm of public opinion to protect and defend Minnesota’s environment and the health of its people. MCEA is committed to building a diverse and equitable workforce and encourages applicants from underrepresented or marginalized communities.
The Legal Fellow is a one-year paid position designed to assist new graduates and/or attorneys in the early stages of their careers to develop skills and experience as environmental advocates. The Legal Fellow works closely with MCEA’s staff attorneys on advocacy projects, including litigation, administrative and legislative advocacy, communications, and public outreach. Depending on experience and expertise, the Legal Fellow may have opportunities to exercise independent responsibility for some projects, with close supervision from other MCEA staff. Candidates who come from underrepresented communities are highly encouraged to apply.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND PERFORMANCE CRITERIA:
1. Works closely with MCEA attorneys on litigation, including investigation of potential cases, legal research, assisting with discovery and case management, assisting with memo and brief writing, and other duties as assigned by supervising staff.
2. Participates in all aspects of MCEA’s work with administrative agencies, including drafting comments on agency permits and environmental review, engaging in rulemakings, and participating in contested case proceedings, and other administrative decision-making forums.
3. Assists with legislative advocacy, including conducting legal research, summarizing and analyzing policy proposals and bill language, writing factsheets, and other communications.
4. Interacts with MCEA clients, coalition partners, experts, board and committee members, and donors, and is an effective ambassador of MCEA in the community.
5. Demonstrates awareness of and sensitivity to individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
6. Exhibits exceptional professional conduct, meeting internal and external deadlines, using good time management and organizational skills, and meeting all professional obligations and office requirements.
7. Exercises sound judgment with good communication skills and the ability to balance independent action with taking direction from supervising staff.
- J.D. degree and/or license to practice law.
- Commitment to or sincere interest in environmental advocacy and public interest law.
- Interest in contributing to a work environment that celebrates differences and strives to achieve inclusion, equity and respect for all staff.
- Excellent writing and research skills, with the ability to provide clear, logical and focused legal analysis and attention to detail.
- Strong work ethic and initiative.
- Ability to communicate effectively and openly with co-workers to create a healthy work environment.
MCEA strives to create a mission-focused work environment that is equitable and inclusive. The salary for this position will be $68,462 plus excellent benefits. MCEA highly values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send cover letter explaining qualifications and interest, résumé, law school transcript, writing sample and references to firstname.lastname@example.org. You must submit materials directly to this email address – no applications via third party website (such as Indeed) will be accepted.
Candidates are encouraged to apply by March 10, 2021. Position will remain open until filled.
Established in 1974, MCEA uses law, science, and research to protect Minnesota’s environment, its natural resources, and the health of its people.
MCEA envisions clean water, clean air, healthy ecosystems, a sustainable economy, and improved public health for all Minnesotans. We are committed to growing our capacity and impact to achieve measurable progress toward this vision.