WHO WE ARE: The Minnesota Center for Environmental Advocacy has been the leading legal and scientific voice for Minnesota’s environment since 1974. A growing nonprofit with offices in Saint Paul and Duluth, MCEA supports its employees through a commitment to a living wage, a good benefits package, and regular opportunities for professional growth and development. We value diversity, equity, an inclusive culture, and respect in the workplace. The Nonprofit Times featured MCEA among the Best Nonprofits to Work For in 2021 and 2022, as well as the Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal Best Places to Work in 2022.
POSITION SUMMARY: We seek an energetic and experienced employee to lead all aspects of our individual donor program and how our donors experience MCEA. This position is responsible for setting strategy and overseeing daily operations for all event and individual giving fundraising activities. The Individual Giving Director will join a successful team that has experienced significant growth. The Director will lead teams and projects across the organization including the CEO, CAO, and Donor Partnership Manager in donor visits, the Digital Communications Manager and Communications and Online Giving Associate on online giving, the Data Manager on targeting, and all staff on events. The successful candidate will develop, refine, and implement plans and systems to ensure that MCEA continues to grow. MCEA values bold leadership and seeks to empower its leaders with creative license and control in a collaborative and supportive culture. The ideal candidate will build off our success, have a hunger to continue growing, and bring new ideas. This is a great opportunity to join a nimble team that is committed to working and laughing hard together, and to have a big impact on the state’s future. We seek a candidate who is deeply committed to our mission, highly organized, experienced in and capable of leading design and implementation of organization-wide strategies in a collaborative fashion, brings a track record of fundraising growth, is a good listener capable of giving and receiving honest feedback, and able to contribute positively to the creation of a diverse, equitable, inclusive team-oriented work environment that celebrates differences.
HOW WILL WE SUPPORT YOU? MCEA’s goal for this position is to hire an accomplished leader who inspires others to support development efforts and helps us achieve further growth. We will support the successful candidate through generous pay and benefits, a competitive benefits package, leadership coaching, meaningful support from our leadership team at MCEA, and the resources of a growing nonprofit.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Direct Donor Engagement. Our fundraising philosophy is based on building relationships and making direct asks, primarily through donor visits. This position will lead targeting strategies, support the CEO, CAO, and Donor Partnership Manager in donor visits, and manage their own portfolio.
- Donor Experience. From thanking donors to our mail program and engagement webinars, this position will plan and lead how our donors are engaged. Developing and implementing an individual giving program that offers a range of giving opportunities including annual gifts, major gifts, and planned gifts.
- Campaigns and innovative strategies. Design campaigns, workplans and calendars to meet budget goals while also leaving space for creativity and experimentation. Create a strategy to identify and cultivate current donors and new prospects who have the capacity and inclination to make gifts of $10,000 or more.
- Events and sponsorships. This position will play a leadership role in our internal events team, partner with our external event consultants, and lead sponsorship solicitation.
- At least five years of experience in individual fundraising with a focus on direct asks and at least three of those years in a leadership position
- Proven track record soliciting and closing gifts, building and cultivating relationships
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and lead teams
- Experience in leading planning and setting revenue targets
- Demonstrated ability to translate fundraising goals into workplans and manage teammates to reach stated goals
- Strong project management skills, including coordinating multiple projects and stakeholders
- Experience designing and leading a major, multiyear campaign a plus
SALARY & BENEFITS: MCEA strives to create a mission-focused work environment that is equitable and inclusive. MCEA highly values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We are proud to support our employees through a range of strategies, including generous benefits for employees and dependents, paid family leave, and support from an executive coach. The annual salary range for this position is $90,000-$100,000.
REPORTS TO: Chief Advancement Officer.
TO APPLY: Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 15, 2022 for priority consideration. Please use your cover letter as an opportunity to share with us how your skills and experience align with our desired candidate. Please also indicate in your e-mail where you located this job posting. You must submit all materials directly to this email address – no applications via third party website (such as Indeed) will be accepted.