LOCATION: St. Paul
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time/Salary
REPORTS TO: Development and Membership Director
Friends of the Boundary Waters Wilderness is seeking a full-time grant writer. The grant writer will be responsible for writing grants, reporting to public agencies, private foundations and corporate funders, and researching grant prospects. This position is part of the Development and Membership team.
- Reports directly to the Development and Membership Director.
- Works effectively with other departments within the Friends, including Communications, Operations, Policy, and Education.
- Prepare, submit and manage grant proposals
- Perform research for corporate and foundation grants
- Work with operations and program areas to gather necessary information to report to grant funders
- Ensure compliance with all grant reporting
- Maintain current records in database and files including grant tracking and reporting
- Provide stewardship to current grant donors, including written updates to grant donors
- Arrange for meetings between the Executive Director and/or the Development and Membership Director and foundation officers and other prospects
- Arrange for onsite tours for foundation officers and other prospects
- Track grant statistics
- Understand and successfully communicate the mission and vision of the Friends
- Assist with other fundraising projects as needed
- Minimum of 2 years of experience with grant writing with a strong track record of securing grants or donations from individuals, corporations, and foundations
- Strong written communication skills with the ability to write clear, structured, articulate and persuasive proposals
- Attention to detail, including strong editing skills
- Ability to meet deadlines and balance competing priorities
- Knowledge of basic fundraising techniques and strategies
- Knowledge of research techniques for fundraising prospect research
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Passion for preserving the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness and its ecosystem.
- Paid vacation and sick leave, health insurance, and a 403(b) retirement plan.
- In addition to paid vacation and sick leave, the Friends provides a $300 stipend and five additional paid vacation days to each employee to take time off and recharge in the wilderness.
- Hours of unpaid leave for parents to attend a child’s school conferences, classroom activities, childcare or any other childhood program.
- $50 per month transportation allowance for public transit or parking.
- We encourage life-long learning and ongoing professional development.
Submit a cover letter, resume, three references, and two grant proposal samples to:
Ms. Bree Sikorski
Friends of the Boundary Waters Wilderness
2250 University Ave W
Saint Paul, MN 55114
In the subject line of any electronic communication, please put “Grant Writer Position.”
Applications will be accepted until March 1, 2021.
At the Friends, we have a clear vision to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, to stay, and do their best work. The Friends is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.