Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Reports To: Executive Director
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Friends of the Boundary Waters (Friends) is seeking a Government Relations Manager to serve as Friends’ principal liaison to elected and other government officials at all levels. This position will also help develop and implement a legislative strategy that furthers Friends’ mission. This will include building grassroots support, identifying and implementing actions and communications to support Friends’ legislative and policy work, and staying knowledgeable about relevant existing and proposed legislation and regulatory or executive actions. The Government Relations Manager will also serve as staff to the Friends’ affiliated 501(c)4 organization, Friends of the Boundary Waters Action Network which carries out political work.
- Reports to the Executive Director
- Works effectively with all Friends’ staff and Board of Directors
- Represents Friends before the Minnesota Legislature and United States Congress
- Builds and manages strong relationships within the Minnesota Legislature, agencies, and local governments and maintains these relationships both during and outside of the legislative sessions
- Develops and implements strategies for passing Friends legislation
- Attends relevant coalition meetings, government committees and hearings, and events
- Builds grassroots support for Friends issues and legislation, including working with Friends’ Citizen Action Network
- Build and manage the Prove It First Coalition
- Work with the Outreach and Volunteer Coordinator to plan and implement events and other activities to support Friends legislative and policy goals, such as town halls, news conferences and presentations. This also includes an annual Day at the Capitol for supporters to meet with their legislators.
- Works closely with Communications staff to develop advocacy campaigns
- Works with the Legal Director to ensure compliance with lobbying laws and regulations, including filing required lobbying reports
- Maintain current knowledge of existing and proposed legislation and regulatory or executive actions that are relevant to the Friends mission
- Work for the Friends affiliated 501(c)4 organization that performs political work, such as endorsing candidates
- 4-6 years of experience in government relations, lobbying and/or working with elected officials
- Knowledge of legislative and executive processes
- Experience communicating with and presenting to a variety of stakeholders, including legislators and their staff, agencies, and other partners
- Ability to communicate complex concepts through verbal and written communication
- Attention to detail and strong follow-through
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team
- Excellent critical and strategic thinking skills
Compensation and Benefits:
- $65,000 – $75,000 per year salary
- Paid vacation and sick leave, health and dental insurance, and a 403(b) retirement plan
- In addition to paid vacation and sick leave, the Friends provides a $600 stipend and five additional paid vacation days to each employee to take time off and recharge in the Boundary Waters or Quetico.
- Flexible working hours and hybrid in-person/remote working options
- We encourage life-long learning and ongoing professional development
Submit a cover letter, resume and three references to:
2550 University Ave W, Suite 180S
Saint Paul, MN 55114
In the subject line of any electronic communication, please put “Government Relations Manager.”
Applications will be accepted until December 6, 2023.
At Friends we have a clear vision to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, to stay, and do their best work. The Friends is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.