The St. Croix River Association (SCRA) seeks a Forestry Program Coordinator to lead our established Forestry program. Someone with a strong commitment to healthy watersheds and to solving environmental problems through partnerships, and a passion for rivers will find this an appealing appointment. SCRA is the official nonprofit partner of the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway. We work throughout the watershed to protect this national park that flows through its heart.
The Forestry Program Coordinator will primarily focus on working to 1) protect and manage forestlands for water quality protection in the St. Croix watershed through private woodland owner outreach, education, and coordination, 2) work to improve and restore critical habitat within the watershed through coordinating a Cooperative Weed Management Area and 3) support SCRA’s overall Land and Water Program activities. Extensive travel within the watershed is expected, and may include work in the field.
Forest Conservation & Woodland Owner Outreach: (60%)
- Coordinate, develop, and maintain a woodland owner outreach program, including the development and implementation of outreach campaigns.
- Maintain databases to track interactions with woodland owners and forestry service providers.
- Serve as a primary point of contact and respond to woodland owners seeking information via phone, email, and/or website inquiries.
- Organize outreach events including workshops, trainings, and field days for landowners and professional service providers.
- Present information on forest stewardship for watershed health at outreach and education events.
- Assist with the management, reporting, and application of relevant grants.
- Recruit and supervise forestry intern/s.
Habitat Improvement/Restoration Support (30%)
- Coordinate Cooperative Weed Management Area (CWMA) meetings and provide regular communications and updates.
- Coordinate CWMA projects and initiatives, including invasive species control trainings, workshops, and grant applications.
- Maintain the CWMA website and coordinate related press releases.
- Present terrestrial invasive species information at local events, and other outreach and education opportunities.
- Assist in overall land and habitat restoration projects and emerging opportunities.
Other Land & Water Program Support (10%)
- Assist in organizing and hosting water quality related education and outreach events.
- Represent SCRA at meetings, and other public events.
- Build strong relationships with watershed partners and stakeholders.
- Assist with activities to support the SCRA’s Water Resource and Land programs
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field (conservation, natural resources, forestry, environmental studies, etc.).
- Familiarity with forested ecosystems and regional forestry best management practices.
- Experience with terrestrial invasive species identification, monitoring, control, and management.
- Excellent computer skills, with Microsoft office, Global Positioning System (GPS) and ArcGIS software proficiency.
- Experience with database management, with the ability to track and report relevant data and project results.
- Excellent verbal and writing skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse audience.
- Experience effectively and cooperatively coordinating projects with multiple stakeholders.
- Familiarity with grant application procedures, administration, and reporting.
- Able to self-manage time and assignments, capable of working under pressure while managing multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Highly developed organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills.
- Must have car and valid driver’s license, and be able to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Ability to move and work on all types of uneven surfaces, and both inside and outside environmental conditions
- Experience with boats or kayaks/ canoes, or ability to learn
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
This position is full time and is based in St. Croix Falls, WI with a starting salary of $45,000 annually. It includes a comprehensive benefits package, an energetic work environment, and the chance to associate with other passionate staff and a wide array of partners committed to protecting the St. Croix River and its watershed.
Qualified applicants please send cover letter, resume, and a list of three references to email@example.com.
Application deadline is Friday, July 12th, 2019 or until the position is filled. The SCRA is an equal opportunity employer. No phone calls, please. Send all inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.