Location: St. Croix Falls, Wisconsin
Applications will be reviewed and considered as they are received, and interviews will occur as qualified candidates emerge. Apply soon!
Part of the River Connections Program, a partnership of the St. Croix River Association and the National Park Service at the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway
The St. Croix River Association (SCRA) is currently recruiting applicants for Forestry Stewardship internship at the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway during the summer of 2019. Positions will be 12-15 weeks.
The Riverway, one of the nation’s first wild and scenic rivers, is a National Park consisting of 255 river miles that flow through some of the most scenic and least developed country in the Upper Midwest. Learn more at: www.nps.gov/sacn.
SCRA (www.stcroixriverassociation.org) is a nonprofit organization that protects, restores and celebrates the St. Croix River and its watershed, and serves as the official non-profit partner of the National Park.
Description of Internship
This position is with SCRA, and is supervised by the SCRA Forestry Program Coordinator. It provides recent graduates or students with practical work experience in the field of forest management and stewardship outreach. The intern will have the opportunity to learn and develop many technical, field and soft skills from a wide variety of partner agencies and organizations, all while being outside working outside throughout the St. Croix River watershed.
- Monitor and inventory forest and other terrestrial invasives throughout the watershed.
- Assist with control efforts of forest and other terrestrial invasive species throughout the watershed.
- Assist with forest management and stewardship planning activities on public and private lands, including BMP implementation, and stewardship and management planning.
- Assist with management of the SCRA’s landowner engagement databases.
- Distribute forest stewardship educational and outreach materials at community events.
- Assist with the delivery of landowner and professional continuing education workshops and programs.
- Assist with GIS analysis and creation of maps for landscape prioritization, management planning, and landowner outreach tracking.
- Work with many and diverse partners, including consulting foresters, local, state and federal governments agencies, and nonprofit organizations throughout the watershed.
· Hourly wage dependent on experience and other needs
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
- Recent graduate or college student with coursework in forestry, natural sciences, natural resources, or a related field. Other majors or courses of study may be considered.
- Ability to work well both independently and as part of a team, be detail-oriented and organized, and to follow oral and written directions.
- Good oral and written communication skills. Ability to clearly communicate information with private landowners and the public.
- Some field experience preferred.
- Some experience with GIS and database management preferred.
- Valid state driver’s license is required.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 pounds independently, and up to 50 pounds with assistance.
- Must be willing and able to work some weekends and evenings.
Work Site and Conditions
- Intern will be based at the St. Croix River Association in St. Croix Falls, Wisconsin, but will travel throughout the upper St. Croix watershed in both Minnesota and Wisconsin.
- Work in the field is required and will involve some physical activity, including walking, hiking, standing for long periods of time, and occasionally paddling a kayak or canoe at a variety of locations.
- Schedules can be variable or on a week to week basis.
- Positions will be 12-15 weeks, beginning May 13. Flexibility in length of the internship is negotiable with prior approval.
How to Apply
Send all of the following information:
- Cover letter. State the internship you are applying for and why are you interested in the internship and working with the St. Croix River Association.
- Detailed resume, including work experience.
- Three references.
St. Croix River Association
Deadline: Applications will be reviewed & considered as they are received, so apply soon!