Location: St. Paul
Job ID: 29833
Division/Unit: Office of Enterprise Sustainability
Travel Required: Yes
Salary Range: $83,311 – $119,496/annually
This position is temporary unclassified, anticipated to last three years in duration, with the possibility of being converted to permanent status.
The Director of the Office on Enterprise Sustainability (OES) will direct internal and external work related to sustainability efforts with state all agencies. The work will include, but is not limited to: improving recycling outcomes, increasing the use of renewable energy, helping agencies find every energy efficiency in state buildings in concert with Sustainable Buildings 2030 and using B3 tracking, climate reporting, improving the Green Fleet, and implementing environmental preferred purchasing (where applicable). The general objective of this position is to ensure accountability in the implementation of policies that reflect enterprise-wide goals and objectives around sustainability, including, but not limited to Governor’s Executive Orders. Responsibilities of the position include:
- Provide strategic leadership to coordinate enterprise-wide sustainability efforts, in concert with agency partners in order to improve sustainability outcomes throughout the enterprise.
- Provide continuity across the enterprise in sustainability programs.
- Works to assist all state agencies in achieving enterprise-wide sustainability goals as identified in Governor’s Executive Orders.
- Work with experts in state agencies to develop and maintain a best practices manual(s) that are easily replicable and scalable.
- Seek innovative ways to improve the overall sustainability of state government.
- Use data to help agencies implement work plans to ensure benchmarks are being met or exceeded.
- Track and participate in various work-groups across state agencies related to improved environmental outcomes in state agencies. Provide leadership and connections across working groups to ensure communication, cohesive policy recommendations, and improved overall outcomes.
- Ensure agencies are connected to resources and trainings, and provide innovative solutions to sustainability challenges.
- Advises agency leadership on sustainability matters and seek endorsement and buy-in at a leadership level throughout the enterprise.
- Accountable for upkeep of dashboard to measure and drive systems change in state agencies stemming from the Results Conference on State Operations Sustainability.
- Work to develop communications plans in concert with other agencies on sustainability programming, results and outcomes.
- Track savings to state agencies that can be attributed to the implementation of sustainability measures or reductions in greenhouse gas emissions.
- Work to increase employee engagement around sustainability programming.
- Provide leadership, guidance and staff support to the Sustainability Steering team.
Qualified candidates will have experience in leading sustainability efforts in large enterprises. Experience will include executive leadership which demonstrates the following basic qualifications.
Bachelor’s degree in an Environmental Science, any Natural Science, Public Administration or other related degree with a broad knowledge of environmental issues and sustainability and four (4) years of professional level work experience OR six (6) years professional level work experience.
Work experience must demonstrate the following:
- Experience in developing and implementing sustainability programs, preferably across large enterprises
- Experience in policy development, statute interpretation, law change proposals, and legislative involvement
- Experience in professional development including organizational management, change management, continuous improvement/lean methodology, etc.
- Knowledge of emerging practices in reducing carbon footprints and sustainability programming
- Leadership and communication capabilities at an executive level
- Extensive knowledge of best practices in sustainability programming
- Familiarity with state government operations
- Advanced professional communication skill sufficient to build positive working relationships with agency decision-makers at various levels of government
- Ability to communicate and negotiate effectively with people not directly managed
- Demonstrated experience in business management and leadership
- Risk management experience sufficient to the positions role
- Knowledge of cost effectiveness, return on investment, and other tools to gauge economic effectiveness of programming
- Ability to facilitate buy-in and agreement amongst large groups of stakeholders throughout government
- Forward thinking and innovative ideas on the future of state government operations, and a proven ability to adapt over time.
- Ability to think innovatively and to use data to improve processes and outcomes
- Requires a Class D Driver’s License: a single unit vehicle with a gross vehicle weight of less than 26,000 pounds. This is a basic driver’s license.
- Successful applicant must pass a criminal background check through the American Databank and employer reference checks.
How to Apply
Apply online at www.mn.gov/careers. Job ID 29883. Closing Date: February 14, 2019.
If you have questions about the position, contact Jess Fenlon at email@example.com
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651.259.3637 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate what assistance you need.