Northeastern Minnesotans for Wilderness (NMW) leads a national coalition, known as the Campaign to Save the Boundary Waters, working to fulfill the promise of wilderness protection for the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness by stopping the threat of sulfide-ore mining in its watershed. The Campaign coalition, founded in 2013 by local residents in and around Ely, Minnesota, now includes 350 organizations that reach more than 18 million people. The Boundary Waters is America’s most visited wilderness area. Our fight is already one of the highest-profile public lands issues in the country. Our current strategic focus is to further expand our effort nationally to achieve two primary goals: establishing the Boundary Waters as a top-tier American treasure and passing legislation to permanently protect the Boundary Waters watershed.
We are a dynamic, growing Section 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Contributions in 2017 aggregated $2.6mm, up from $0.676mm in 2014, the first full year of the Campaign. Staff has grown from one part time staff person in 2014 to 13 full time and 4 part time employees as of November 2018. We have three additional affiliated organizations that support the Campaign.
A successful candidate would have the opportunity to work with a national leader in defense of America’s public lands, enjoy flexible work hours and work in new space in Northeast Minneapolis with our engaged and motivated staff and board of directors.
The Director of Finance and Administration (DFA) is a new position in our organization.
This is a senior level management position reporting to the Executive Director of NMW. The DFA would have primary responsibility for managing the accounting, financial, human resources, compliance and risk management requirements of NMW and its affiliates. The ideal candidate will be an experienced accounting professional with both technical accounting skills and organizational management skills.
Initially, the position would be part-time, around 20 hours per week. However, with anticipated continued growth, the DFA may become a full-time position.
Specific duties and responsibilities would include:
- Accounting data entry, coding and reconciliation
- Managing vendor and other third-party billing and payment
- Financial reporting for internal and external use
- Working with outside accounting resources when needed, including management of our annual audit process,
- Managing our annual budget process, in collaboration with our Executive Director, finance and fundraising committees and other staff, and overseeing periodic updates
- Assisting with accounting, financial, corporate and other recordkeeping
- Supervising payroll process and related governmental compliance
- Managing banking and credit relationships
- Serving as principal liaison with our finance committee and board of directors relating to accounting, finance and administrative matters
- Managing employee benefits
- Managing other human resource activities, including regular staff reviews, onboarding of new employees and development or updating of personnel policies
- Managing governmental and third-party contract reporting and compliance
- Managing insurance needs of NMW and other risk management matters
We believe a successful candidate would have:
- Undergraduate degree and additional training or work experience in accounting or finance; CPA or MBA preferred
- Five or more years experience in a similar position, preferably at or with a non-profit
- Ability to work with others in a flexible work hour, dynamic demand, multi-task work environment
- The initiative and seasoning to undertake and complete tasks with minimal supervision
- Interest in the defense of public lands generally and the Boundary Waters in particular
- Proficiency in accounting and financial reporting, including Excel and Quickbooks (experience with Abila a plus)
We offer competitive salary, commensurate with experience and work hour commitment.
Please send resume and a cover letter outlining your interest in this position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Application for Position of Director of Finance and Administration” in the subject line. The position will remain open until filled.
Interested candidates are requested to apply by January 4, 2019. Candidates will be expected to furnish references following completion of preliminary screening.