Location: St. Croix Falls, WI
As a key member of the organization’s senior staff, this position is expected to bring leadership, innovation and growth to all aspects of the SCRA development function.
Over the next five years, the Director of Development will act as the catalyst to strategically build a multifaceted philanthropic revenue stream; the individual selected for this role will have a unique entrepreneurial opportunity to create, lead and grow a team of development professionals who will play a critical role in helping achieve our long-term organizational goals.
This position is key in developing critical philanthropic relationships on behalf of our organization. The successful candidate will develop close professional relationships with high capacity individual donors, family and community foundations, and corporations throughout our 7,800 square-mile watershed.
The successful candidate will work in partnership with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, Development Committee, and other key volunteers to achieve these goals.
Key Responsibilities and Expectations
• Develop strategies to significantly increase philanthropic support, with a particular focus on expanding the mid/major contributor base and diversifying fundraising revenues.
• In close partnership with the Executive Director and the Development Committee of the Board, develop a three-year plan for the transformation and growth of our development function.
• Serve as the sole/primary major gifts officer, responsible for the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of all major donor relationships.
• Oversee all foundation and corporate relationship development opportunities.
• Direct and/or organize all special events intended to engage and expand membership.
• Develop and execute the annual fund and membership programs.
• Provide oversight and direction to staff involved in grant writing
• Create a performance-oriented, metrics-driven culture, with an emphasis on the value of relationships that are beneficial to the organization in both the immediate and long term.
Desired Experience and Personal Attributes
Our ideal candidate is a natural leader, a self-starter and team-builder with a genuine passion for the outdoors and the protection of our natural resources and habitat. He/she will have a demonstrated track record of professional achievement and innovation as a fundraising professional. He/she should be collaborative, yet decisive in style and possess a natural ability to
develop strong working relationships across a wide spectrum of individuals.
At least seven years of progressive success in a relationship-oriented development role is strongly desired. Individuals with demonstrated success in a senior-level business development,
sales or related function will also be considered.