Wild Rivers Conservancy is currently recruiting applicants for one Community Engagement (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility) intern at the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway during the summer of 2024. The position will be a minimum of 10 weeks, beginning May 30th, 2024.
Wild Rivers Conservancy is the official nonprofit partner of the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway. We inspire stewardship to forever ensure the rare ecological integrity of the St. Croix and Namekagon Riverway. Learn more at: www.wildriversconservancy.org
The Riverway, one of the nation’s first wild and scenic rivers, is a National Park consisting of 255 river miles that flow through some of the most scenic and least developed land in the Upper Midwest. Learn more at: www.nps.gov/sacn.
Wild Rivers Conservancy has a vision of a thriving watershed, forever accessible, scenic, and wild, and we know that this does not happen without a diverse community of riverway stewards. This internship will connect new and diverse audiences to the St. Croix and Namekagon Rivers while gaining experience in community outreach, program facilitation, and relationship building. The intern will work alongside Conservancy staff, NPS Park Rangers, Riverway Volunteers, and Hmong and Community Ambassadors to help promote events and support event logistics. The day-to-day supervisor is the Community Engagement Manager.
- Facilitate and support activities led by Hmong and other community ambassadors to increase diversity and connect others to the Riverway through outdoor recreation activities such as kayaking, hiking, and birding in our Explore Wild Rivers program area
- Promote the Conservancy and bring awareness of our National Park at community events such as booths at Musky Fest, River Fest, local farmer’s markets, and the Stillwater Lumberjack Days parade
- Support diversity initiatives, such as Latino Conservation Week in July and kayak experiences with youth from Lac Courte Orielles Boys and Girls Club in Hayward
- Work directly with volunteers and other program staff to provide accessible, inclusive and quality experiences for program participants
- Work with diverse partners, including local, state, and federal government agencies, and nonprofit organizations
- Maintain and care for program supplies and equipment
- Contribute positively to the team environment
- Preference will be given to applicants from underrepresented communities, such as individuals who self-identify as black, indigenous, or people of color
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident of the United States, with a valid state driver’s license
- Preference to college students or recent graduates with coursework in education, outdoor education, natural resources, biology, or a related field
- General knowledge of the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway is helpful
- Excitement for the natural world and a demonstrated ability to share it with others
- Ability to work well both independently and as part of a team, be detail-oriented and organized, and follow oral and written directions
- Ability to work with a flexible and changing schedule. Must be able to work some long days, weekends, and evenings
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 pounds independently, and up to 50 pounds with assistance
- Must be able to begin internship on May 30th, 2024
Work Site and Conditions
- The intern will be based at the Wild Rivers Conservancy office in Osceola, WI.
- There will be travel throughout the St. Croix watershed in both Minnesota and Wisconsin
- This position will involve some physical activity, including walking, standing for long periods, and paddling a kayak or canoe at a variety of locations
- Schedules can be variable or on a week-to-week basis
Position and Wage Details
This is a temporary, full-time internship ranging 32-40 hours weekly for a minimum of 10 weeks at a wage of $15/hr.
How to Apply
Send all of the following information:
- Cover letter. State the internship you are applying for, why you are interested in the internship, and in working at the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway.
- Detailed resume, including work experience.
- Three references.
Community Engagement Manager
Wild Rivers Conservancy
(715) 483-3300 x 30
Deadline – Applications must be received by 5:00pm on Friday, February 9th, 2024.