Job Type: Part-time (20-25 hours/week) contract, some evening and weekend times
Location: Twin Cities Metro
WaterLegacy is an award-winning Minnesota non-profit working at the cutting edge of advocacy and communications to prevent PolyMet and other sulfide mine pollution and to protect Minnesota clean water and environmental justice. We are a lean, bold grassroots group dedicated to environmental health and justice, serving as allies for indigenous communities, and protecting Minnesota’s precious water resources for generations to come.
Are you outgoing, passionate, and interested in developing world-class communications and organizing skills? As our Community Engagement Coordinator, you’ll work virtually under the supervision of WaterLegacy’s Advocacy Director and Counsel and collaborate with our staff, board, volunteers, and supporters to sustain and grow the community base for WaterLegacy’s mission through organizing, communications, and engaging citizens in self-advocacy.
You’ll have the chance to use your initiative in developing engagement events to protect the environment and communities impacted by sulfide mining pollution. This position is part-time (20-25 hours/week).
Your Major Responsibilities:
- Brainstorm, plan, coordinate, and staff engagement events, including virtual events.
- Coordinate and build personal relationships with volunteers and supporters.
- Help educate, engage, and motivate WaterLegacy supporters to sign petitions, letters, make calls, testify at public hearings and engage in direct actions (when and in ways that are safe), and track and report results.
- Draft communications content, including website postings, social media, and direct emails.
- Provide outreach, support, research, and drafting to assist community members and allies in preparation for meetings and hearings.
- Assist in planning, staffing, drafting materials, and coordinating volunteers for fundraising events and campaigns.
- Make presentations on environmental issues and build alliances with other groups to support organizing and advocacy.
What WaterLegacy Will Offer You:
- An opportunity to use your skills to connect with people and protect unique Minnesota clean waters and ecosystems and safeguard human health and social justice.
- Opportunities to use technology, such as webinars and podcasts, in strategic ways to advance citizen action to protect Minnesota’s water resources
- Mentoring by one of the State’s leading environmental lawyers and advocates to hone your writing expertise, strategic thinking, and policy knowledge.
- An entrepreneurial challenge where you can initiate and develop plans and build resources to grow your own position and responsibilities.
- A flexible schedule for remote work, allowing you to generally set your own hours while fulfilling meaningful work requirements.
- Outgoing, self-motivated, strong work ethic, organized, and able to maintain accountability.
- College degree or two years communications, organizing, and outreach experience.
- Excellent verbal, written, and social engagement communications skills.
- Experience working in team ecosystems, including being able to request direction, follow through on instructions, meet deadlines, receive feedback, work independently, and initiate tasks and proposals.
- Passion for non-profit mission of protecting clean water and environmental justice.
- Proficient in use of communications tools including Microsoft Office applications, design software, social media, and capacity to learn database and web content entry skills.
- Reliable car, cell phone, and recent model computer.
- Cross-cultural competency and experience.
- Ability to think outside the box, initiate new and creative ideas, and provide artistic contributions or judgment.
- Experience with media relations, fundraising, and/or preparing and delivering educational presentations.
To Apply: Email your personal cover letter, resume, a brief writing sample (e.g. press release, letter, article, or fact sheet) and contacts for three references to Advocacy Director and Counsel Paula Maccabee with the subject line “Application – WaterLegacy Engagement Coordinator,” at email@example.com.