Location: St. Paul
Date: Open Until Filled; Applications Due: July 26, 2019
Reports to: Communications Manager
Clean Grid Alliance (CGA) is a non-profit organization whose 40+ members include wind, solar and energy storage developers and manufacturers, non-profit environmental, public interest and clean energy advocacy organizations, farmer organizations, and other businesses that support renewable energy. CGA is a vital player in the fast-changing renewable energy sector. Renewable energy (and other technologies that will enable a renewable future) is growing rapidly and includes wind, solar, storage, and other emerging technologies—all of which will need CGA’s expertise and engagement in the years to come. CGA’s current footprint includes nine states: North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana and Missouri.
Clean Grid Alliance seeks a Communications/Policy Associate to assist with internal and external communications activities and renewable energy (particularly wind energy, solar energy, and energy storage) policy work at the state and regional levels. CGA is looking for an ambitious, personable self-starter who can complete projects on-time and work both independently as well as part of a team. The successful candidate will have good written/oral communication skills and will be media savvy. Applicant will have at least 2 years of experience with advocacy, tracking and development of public policy initiatives, legislative education/outreach, and coordinating groups of people with multiple interests. The Communications/Policy Associate will work with the Executive Director, two Regional Policy Managers and the Communications Manager to develop and implement effective policy, regulatory and communications strategies. The Communications/Policy Associate will have the opportunity to be part of a dynamic, growing staff and gain valuable experience advancing policies to meet clean energy goals in the upper Midwest. The location for the position is in St. Paul, Minnesota.
Communications Support and Writing (70%) Responsibilities include:
- Create fact-sheets, editorials, Letters to the Editor, blog posts, infographics, short videos, social media content and other copy for public audiences
- Under the direction of the Communications Manager, coordinate, maintain and update the organization’s social media presence (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn)
- Help track and analyze website and social media analytics
- Assist the Communications Manager maintain up-to-date information on the CGA website regarding state and regional policy activities
- Assist the Communications Manager to gather and write content for the two monthly newsletters, maintain distribution lists, and facilitate distribution
- Help update and maintain media lists
- Coordinate and participate with other state and regional groups on clean energy activities and special projects.
Policy Support & Research/Member Mobilization (25%) Responsibilities include:
- Tracking and analyzing policy issues and proposals at the state level in the CGA footprint (9 states)
- Researching past and current Utility filings reports, and Agency data to keep apprised of latest energy and electricity trends, and reporting findings to Regional Policy Managers
- In conjunction with Regional Policy Managers, coordinate CGA members to take action on policy proposals
- Represent CGA in various regional conference calls regarding clean energy and occasional meetings with agencies, businesses, and organizations
- Monitoring specific action of regulatory commissions in nine CGA states, including policy analysis and assisting Regional Policy Managers in developing responses to regulatory activities
- Assisting in research and analysis of renewable energy issues, including policy and political analysis, and tracking new technologies
Administrative Responsibilities (5%)
- Coordinating CGA state working groups including setting up in-person and teleconference meetings, preparing meeting agendas, and post-meeting follow-up
- Ensuring CGA working groups receive timely updates on legislative and regulatory proceedings
- Managing CGA State Working Group members list and database
- Encouraging CGA members to actively participate in CGA state working groups
- Assisting with CGA quarterly meeting preparations
- Other tasks as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Detail-oriented and organized.
- Prior experience with legislative and/or regulatory policy advocacy desired.
- Strong interest in research and understanding energy policies.
- Strong organizational skills and efficiency and persuasiveness in oral and written communications required.
- Experience working with large groups of individuals/organizations with different points of view required.
- Proven ability to meet frequent deadlines and balance multiple tasks required.
- Experience with Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office applications, including PowerPoint and Outlook required.
- Experience with Adobe InDesign required, and Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere is preferred.
- Experience in Google Analytics and Constant Contact preferred.
- Dedication to advancing the cause of renewable energy highly desired.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for the Communications/Policy Associate position is commensurate with salaries offered at similar non-profit organizations, but depends upon experience and the candidate’s qualifications. Excellent benefits including employer paid health and dental insurance, generous vacation, paid holidays, and employer contribution to retirement plan after employee is vested.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Communications/Policy Associate 2019. Word and PDF format are preferred.
No calls please; direct applicants only, no search or placement firms. Position is open until filled.
Clean Grid Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.