Health Professionals for a Healthy Climate (HPHC) is an interdisciplinary organization of over 500 health professionals across the state of Minnesota focused on protecting and improving human health by promoting climate health. We educate health professionals, the
public, and policymakers about the impacts of climate change on health, and advocate for
policies and institutional changes that address climate change mitigation and build resilience to protect public health. We promote a climate equity policy agenda that dismantles existing
environmental racism, creates a just and equitable transition to a carbon-free economy, and
prioritizes investment in BIPOC communities to create climate resilience and healthy lives and communities. HPHC represents a wide array of health professions, including public health, environmental health and sustainability experts, nurses, physicians, academics, allied health workers, and more. HPHC’s work is led by a five-person Executive Committee, a seven-member Board of Directors, as well as a ten-member Advisory Committee.
Communications Manager Position
We are seeking a person with experience in communications to advance HPHC’s organizational capacity in communications and media. The Communications Manager will work with HPHC’s Program Director and a small team of highly skilled and experienced volunteers and will recruit and train additional health professionals in HPHC’s communications work. The Communications Manager will be responsible for engaging HPHC’s health professional network via email, web, and social media management, training sessions & webinars, and developing materials to support HPHC events, independently and in partnership with coalition members and health care organization partners.
SCOPE OF WORK.
The essential functions of the work include, but are not limited to:
- Carry out HPHC’s strategic communications work to advance climate justice, clean
transportation, fossil free energy, climate-smart healthcare and other HPHC campaigns in Minnesota.
- Work with the Program Director, Executive Committee, other HPHC Committees and
volunteers to develop and implement a Communications Plan to include digital and
earned media strategies focused on HPHC’s critical climate and health campaigns, as
well as planning and hosting webinars and in person educational events.
- Develop and manage an earned media training and support program to highlight health
- Craft information, messaging and materials for social media, website, digital action tools
and HPHC-branded materials, elevating the health and environmental justice benefits of
- Mobilize HPHC’s base in support of climate action options through email
communications and generate public awareness through letters to the editors and other
- Participate in organizing and informational meetings related to HPHC priority campaigns
in order to understand and address communication needs.
- Implement and generate content for an HPHC blog and other communication channels.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE & EXPERTISE
The Communications Manager should have at least one year of experience with issue, policy, or health advocacy and/or electoral campaigns that use grassroots organizing as a central strategy and have:
- Experience using social media and organizing tools to educate and activate
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills and some public speaking ability.
- Excellent knowledge and background in public health, climate change, environmental
health, or related fields.
- Demonstrated ability and effectiveness in working with volunteers and building & sustaining volunteer, and professional relationships over time.
- Ability to lead & motivate people – including individual leaders, organizational leaders, and others to take effective action.
- Ability to work in teams and manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced work environment that demands personal accountability, follow-through, and ability to meet deadlines.
- A passion for and commitment to both climate solutions and racial, gender, & economic
In addition, the following are a plus for this position:
- Experience in graphic design, digital photography, and/or videography
- Experience in drafting press materials and working with the media.
- Expertise in health, public health, environmental studies or a related field, or relevant
experience working in healthcare or environmental sustainability field.
Compensation for this position is $55,000, including paid time off. HPHC is an equal opportunity organization committed to workforce diversity.
HOW TO APPLY: Send a cover letter, resume and contact information for three references to:
HPHC, email@example.com by June 1, 2023. Position will remain open until filled.