Location: Twin Cities metro preferred
Status: Full time, salaried
Reports To: Executive Director/ Deputy Director
Supervises: Contract Positions (graphic design, artists, merch providers, printers, photographers, consultants), Intern(s)
Expected Start Date: February/March 2020
Hours: Flexible. Will involve some evenings and weekends, including events, meetings & ongoing media involvement.
Salary: $43,000-$50,000 DOQE
Benefits: Flexible schedule, health, dental, disability and life insurance, paid vacation, sick time and holidays. Contribution to IRA upon completion of probation period.
The Bicycle Alliance of Minnesota is seeking an independent, flexible, and collaborative Communications Manager that will lead the development and implementation of a comprehensive communications strategy that will help further the organization’s mission and increase its capacity. The position will report primarily to the Executive Director, with certain project responsibilities being reported to the Deputy Director. The position will require close collaboration with other staff, committees, contractors, supporters, and sponsors.
ORGANIZATION SUMMARY – Bicycle Alliance of Minnesota (BikeMN):
BikeMN is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit statewide organization that strives to make walking and biking a frequent means of mobility within communities throughout Minnesota. BikeMN’s Mission is to provide leadership and a unified voice for bicycle education, advocacy and efforts to make Minnesota a place where walking and biking are easy, safe, and fun for people of all backgrounds and abilities everywhere. We believe that everyone should have access to active mobility and that mobility puts human life and health first. To serve this mission, BikeMN has identified three program areas: creating a safe path with Education so that road and trail users behave safely; creating an easy path with Advocacy so Minnesota implements walk and bike friendly policies, programs and infrastructure at all levels; creating a fun path with Community Engagement so that communities, businesses, and higher education institutions are walk and bike friendly.
- Develop and implement an all channel communication strategy: including social media, email, visual and PowerPoint presentations, multiple websites, and print materials (including Shift the BikeMN quarterly newsletter).
- Manage brand representation and graphic design organization-wide.
- Coordinate and collaborate with BikeMN program staff, contractors, board and committees
- Plan and manage effective implementation of tasks to further BikeMN’s communications and development strategy and policies
- Track and adjust projects to meet commitments and timelines
- Communicate effectively: verbally, visually, and electronically
- Train and mentor others on staff as needed to ensure they are well prepared for media interviews, public speaking, and other presentations
- Track BikeMN’s online footprint month to month as well as earned media.
- Help to communicate and build the case for BikeMN’s advocacy/legislative agenda by promoting, preparing, and offering briefing materials and message guidance to a broad range of policy experts, advocates, spokespeople on BikeMN staff and board, within BikeMN’s advocacy network, and to bicycle and pedestrian advocates statewide.
- Manage communications and marketing for large- and small-scale events such as the Saint Paul Classic, Mankato River Ramble, Tour of Saints, Give to the Max Day, Indeed We Can, BikeMN Annual Meeting, conferences, MN Bike Summit, etc.
- Prospective sponsor outreach and relationship management for the Saint Paul Classic Bike Tour, Mankato River Ramble, and Tour of Saints and the organization.
- Plan and manage bi-annual networking events for the Corporate Bike Advocates Network.
- Support donor-focused Development engagements organized by the Supporter Relations Manager.
- Design and implement new membership/ donor programs, including participation in key fundraising efforts in coordination with other staff.
- Support adult and youth education initiatives with project launch guidance, communications planning and implementation, and graphic design, as well as ADA compliant adaptation of materials.
- Event logistics support for major and other events as needed
- Participate in bike friendly programs as able and interested including Bike Friendly Businesses, and Bike Basics for Business as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Cultivation and implementation of a comprehensive communications strategy that will hone the BikeMN brand as the leading advocacy, education, community engagement voice for biking & walking in Minnesota, enhance fundraising and membership efforts, grow the organization’s stakeholder and supporter bases, and position BikeMN’s agenda statewide.
- A collaborative work style and the ability to work independently on self-direct priorities or to take direction as the situation requires.
- Bachelor’s Degree and three to five years related experience and/or post-graduate work.
- Adobe Suite proficiency
- Demonstrated experience and skill in graphic design
- Demonstrated outstanding written & verbal skills
- Strong project management skills
- In-depth experience working professionally with social media
- Experience with web, newsletter production (print and digital) and organizational/business message development
- Shows initiative and enthusiasm and possesses an aptitude for tracking and retrieving information
- Thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic, and collaborative environment
- Ability to manage timelines and project budgets effectively
- Appropriate technological skills to develop and work effectively from a home office including a working knowledge of MS Office suite, Google Apps suite, and Apple computers.
- Passionate about active transportation, biking, and walking
- Salesforce or relevant CRM
- Second language
- Asana proficiency (will train)
- Business related marketing and outreach
This position has flexibility to work both from the Minneapolis headquarters and from home office under direction from supervisor. BikeMN will supply a laptop computer, software, and other supplies as needed as well as a modest stipend for phone and internet. Employee will be expected to provide home workspace and an internet connection. Traveling regularly to BikeMN meetings in the metro area and traveling at least quarterly statewide will be required.
The BikeMN does not discriminate on the basis of: race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, physical or mental disability, or legal source of income.
How to apply:
Email cover letter, resume and up to (3) relevant work samples to Nick Mason at email@example.com. Please format files as PDF using the naming format: “Lastname-Cover, Lastname-resume, Lastname-sample1”. No phone calls please.