Location: St. Paul
WHO WE ARE: The Minnesota Center for Environmental Advocacy has been the leading legal and scientific voice for Minnesota’s environment since 1974. We work in the courts, regulatory agencies and at the legislature to defend clean water and to create a livable climate for our children. MCEA is a nonprofit that seeks to support its employees through a commitment to a living wage, a good benefits package, and opportunities for professional growth and development. We value equity and respect in the workplace.
POSITION SUMMARY: MCEA is growing, and this position plays a key role in building our power and ability to secure lasting environmental protections. The Communications Manager is a newly created position. The person in this role will ensure that our work is communicated to the public and decision makers in clear and powerful ways, and use earned, paid, and owned media strategically to support that work.
We are looking for candidates that are strong writers, who are visually savvy, and who have a track record of putting communications pieces together into powerful campaigns. The Communications Manager is also a member of project teams with people across MCEA working on a legal case or legislative initiative. On these teams, the Communications Manager develops and executes communications campaigns that engage the public and create the conditions for success.
The ideal candidate has a strong interest in our mission and is comfortable taking on a leadership role on a statewide team. The Communications Manager works with the Director of Public Engagement, Public Engagement Manager (Duluth), and Communications and Development Associate as MCEA’s communications team. As a newly-created position in a growing organization, the Communications Manager will share responsibility for defining how we organize the communications team.
Applicants with nontraditional backgrounds or experience in “non-environmental” work who are committed to our mission are encouraged to apply. We love to work with smart people doing smart things, we love people that make us think and challenge our assumptions, and we love people who are fearless and persistent in pursuing a better world.
The ideal candidate is:
- Deeply committed to our mission and centering equity in our work;
- Willing and excited to take on new challenges, even in the face of some uncertainties;
- Part of a growing communications team, and is willing and excited to help shape that team;
- Comfortable using a range of digital communications tools, and committed to developing their expertise and experience using emerging tools and techniques;
- Driven to use data and research to create more effective communications;
- A concise and direct writer who can effectively communicate MCEA’s values in their writing;
- Able to work under deadline and to quickly pivot when communications needs arise, even if those immediate needs complicate longer-term project work;
- Trustworthy, ethical, and honest, with a track record of exercising sound judgment while representing an organization
- Able to lead a project by setting goals, and enlisting the help of coworkers in a way that respects others’ schedules and abilities;
- Able to distill complex information and technical terminology into clear and accessible language;
- Capable of giving and receiving honest and open feedback; and
- Excited about working at a fluid, dynamic, and rapidly growing organization.
Required qualifications for the position:
- At least three years of experience in communications work, including a demonstrated ability to independently lead projects and design communications campaigns;
- A clear understanding of the news media across Minnesota, and a demonstrated ability to effectively engage with reporters; and
- Knowledge of environmental issues in Minnesota, and the demonstrated ability to learn new information.
Job Duties include but are not limited to:
- Write and design fact sheets, press releases, opinion pieces, sign on letters, and talking points to communicate with the press and the public about our issues;
- Lead communication campaigns that engage the public in our work and create the conditions for success;
- Serve as a point of contact for press and connect the media with appropriate MCEA staff;
- Serve as a spokesperson for MCEA;
- Design and execute press events when appropriate and needed;
- Work with clients, allies, and coalition partners to create effective communication strategies and events;
- Coordinate with the Communications and Development Associate to create engaging content for the MCEA website and social media accounts;
- Coordinate with the Public Engagement Manager (Duluth) on communications needs in northern Minnesota; and
- Attend meetings and events in the Twin Cities and elsewhere as needed, including some travel and occasional evening and weekend events.
SALARY & BENEFITS: The salary range for this position is $55,000-$65,000 annually with a great benefits package and generous paid time off.
REPORTS TO: This position reports to the Director of Public Engagement and is located in our St. Paul office.
HOW TO APPLY: Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, March 6th for priority consideration. You must submit both directly to this email address – no applications via third party website (such as Indeed) will be accepted. The goal is to interview in March 2020 with the candidate starting in April 2020.
The Minnesota Center for Environmental Advocacy is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ individuals, and women.