Location: St. Paul
Reports to: Director of Communications
Do you like renewable energy? Would you enjoy educating others about renewable energy?
Are you interested in working with a dynamic advocacy organization?
Come join our team and help communicate about locating wind and solar projects in the Midwest!
Clean Grid Alliance (CGA) is a non-profit organization whose 45+ members include non-profit environmental, public interest and clean energy advocacy organizations, farmer organizations, wind, solar, and energy storage developers and manufacturers, and other businesses that support the development of renewable energy. CGA is a vital player in the fast-changing renewable energy sector. Renewable energy is growing rapidly and includes wind, solar, storage, and other emerging technologies—all of which will need CGA’s expertise and engagement in the years to come. CGA’s current footprint includes nine states: North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana and Missouri.
Clean Grid Alliance is looking for a Communications Associate to coordinate state and regional communications activities across a 7-state footprint, monitor renewable energy siting opposition activity across the region; coordinate stakeholder/peer learning webinars and other communications duties. This is a permanent, full time position based in our St. Paul, MN office at 570 Asbury Street, Suite 201, St. Paul, MN 55104.
RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
Opposition Research & Tracking (40%)
- Track and map adverse siting ordinances/moratoria (7 states)
- Design and implement proactive earned media strategy for “at-risk” communities and surrounding areas
- Track opposition groups on social media; prepare responses for “myths”
- Develop fact sheets that address common myths
- Share opposition tracking intelligence between teams on a regular basis
- Use opposition tracking intelligence to guide communications activities
Communications Support and Writing (40%)
- Write and place editorials, Letters to the Editor and/or press releases in targeted state-wide publications
- Pitch subject matter experts for radio interviews, as directed
- Develop plan to offer Solar/Wind 101 webinars, and create or assist with development of presentation materials
- Arrange reporter education meetings, as needed
- Generate fact sheets and other materials, as needed
- Help update and maintain media lists
- Review and inventory existing contents; update and add to resources available
- Create repository of earned media posts
- Log opposition activity
Stakeholder/Peer Learning Sessions (10%)
- Coordinate webinars, including contacting speakers, scheduling, facilitating meetings, technical coordination, follow-up, and surveys
- Facilitate invitations to stakeholder groups
- Maintain lists
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- 2-3 years’ experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Detail-oriented and organized
- Efficiency and persuasiveness in oral and written communications required
- Strong interest in research and energy issues
- Strong organizational skills
- Experience working with large groups of individuals/organizations with different points of view required
- Proven ability to meet frequent deadlines and balance multiple tasks
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications, including PowerPoint, Outlook and Zoom required
- Experience with design applications such as InDesign desired
- Experience with Constant Contact desired
- Dedication to advancing the cause of renewable energy highly desired
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The salary range for the Communications Associate, Siting Program position is $36,000 – $38,000, but depends upon experience and the candidate’s qualifications. Excellent benefits including employer paid health and dental insurance, generous vacation, paid holidays, and employer contribution to retirement plan after employee is vested.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Communications Associate, Siting Program by May 21, 2021. Word and PDF format are preferred.
No calls please; direct applicants only, no search or placement firms.
Clean Grid Alliance is an equal opportunity employer, and hires regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by law.