Applications will be reviewed and considered as they are received.
Offers will be made on a rolling basis. Apply soon!
Part of the River Connections Program, a partnership of Wild Rivers Conservancy and the National Park Service at the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway
Wild Rivers Conservancy is currently recruiting applicants for one commercial services internship at the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway during the summer of 2022, beginning June 1st.
The Riverway, one of the nation’s first wild and scenic rivers, is a National Park consisting of 255 river miles that flow through some of the most scenic and least developed country in the Upper Midwest. Learn more at: www.nps.gov/sacn
Wild Rivers Conservancy is a nonprofit organization that works to inspire stewardship to forever ensure the rare ecological integrity of the St. Croix and Namekagon Riverway.
Learn more at: www.wildriversconservancy.org
Description of Internship
This position is within the National Park Service’s Division of Administration. The intern is supervised by the Chief of Administration, and collaborates closely with the Chief of Visitor and Resource Protection. The internship provides students with practical work experience in commercial services, visitor services, and resource protection within a national park.
Interns work to gain a deeper understanding of the resource and perform biological work to protect the Riverway. Interns will learn to:
- Assist with monitoring commercial activities in the field, which includes using standardized forms, taking photos, and interviewing commercial providers, and documenting results electronically. Sites will be accessed by vehicle, canoe/kayak, and on foot.
- Provide outreach to the general public regarding visitor services at the park with an emphasis on the intersection of commercial services and safe visitor access.
- Assist in preparing authorizations for commercial activities, as well as conducting formal evaluations and associated reports for commercial vendors.
- Assist in developing policies for commercial service requirements within the national park unit to promote resource values and protection.
- Food and expense allowance
- Housing provided for the duration of internship for those coming from outside of area
- Training in paddling skills and CPR/First
- Up to $1200 for college credits/tuition is provided to the school in which the student is enrolled
- With 250 hours worked, you will receive a National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass that provides access to more than 2,000 recreation areas managed by five Federal agencies (valid for 12 months after issue).
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
- College student with coursework in natural, physical or cultural sciences; resource interpretation; natural or cultural resource management; outdoor recreation; or business administration.
- General knowledge of the National Park Service or St. Croix National Scenic Riverway is helpful.
- Ability to work well both independently and as part of a team, be detail-oriented and organized, and to follow oral and written directions.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Basic computer familiarity, and familiarity with Excel.
- Valid state driver’s license is required.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 pounds independently, and up to 50 pounds with assistance.
Work Site and Conditions:
- Intern will be based out of the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway headquarters in Saint Croix Falls, WI.
- Work in the field is required and will involve some physical activity, including walking, standing for long periods of time, carrying a canoe or kayak, and paddling a kayak or canoe at a variety of park locations.
- Work in the field will also require prolonged periods of exposure to the Work in the field also requires interacting with employees of commercial service providers as well as the general public.
- Internship will run from June 1 through mid-August 2020.
- An internship of 12-14 weeks is preferred. Flexibility in length of the internship is negotiable.
- A fingerprint and background check is required.
- Full COVID vaccination is required for position eligibility.
How to Apply:
Send all of the following information:
- Cover letter. State the internship you are applying for, why you are interested in the internship and working in the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway?
- Detailed resume, including work experience.
- Three references.
Community Engagement Coordinator
Wild Rivers Conservancy
(715) 483-3300 x 30
Deadline: Applications will be reviewed and considered as they are received, so apply soon!
Applications must be received by 5:00pm o