Full-time temporary (seasonal) position
HOURS: April 10, 2023, (or as soon thereafter as possible) through approximately November 10, 2023.
Initial work hours are flexible, but must be full-time (40 hours per week) during June-August. The intern will be expected to report to the office most days, with flexibility to work from home on occasion as approved.
APPLICATION: Send resume in PDF format by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Ramsey-Washington Metro Watershed District is seeking a full-time BMP Inspector Intern to join our staff in preserving and improving water resources and related ecosystems in eastern Ramsey County and western Washington County, Minnesota. As an intern, you will gain hands-on field experience in the natural resources and stormwater management realm, with many learning and networking opportunities.
Primary duty will be to assist District Permit Staff in the inspections of stormwater best management practices (BMPs). The intern will be involved in BMP inspections post construction to ensure compliance and enforce District requirements, writing inspection reports, and communicating findings to District Permit Staff as well as BMP owners. Most work activities will be outside field work with some office report writing, record keeping duties, database management, and other duties as needed. The intern will also have opportunities to assist other departments (Natural Resources, Water Quality, Communications, Stewardship Grant, Education) with various field work and office tasks.
- Students with some civil/geological engineering, soils, natural resources management and/or environmental studies experience preferred.
- Work well independently and take initiative to complete tasks. Be able to communicate effectively. Interact with homeowners, businesses, churches, schools, and any other BMP owners.
- Be diligent in the collection of inspection data and record keeping.
- Interns must have their own vehicle for daily use. Travel within the District is required. Mileage will be reimbursed at the federal rate.
- Must be comfortable working in various field conditions. Job requires occasional walking in rough terrain. Job requires inspecting BMPs on private and public property.
- Job requires working in all weather conditions (cold, rain, and heat). Individual will be responsible for providing most of their own field clothing, rain gear, boots, etc. The District will provide composite-toe boots and PPE as needed.
- Must have proficiency in the use of Microsoft Outlook, and ability to quickly learn new databases and software.