The Energy News Network is an innovative, editorially independent news service covering the transition to a clean energy economy. We are looking for a sharp, attentive editor to oversee early-morning production of our daily newsletters and distribute our original journalism to other news organizations. The ideal candidate for this position will have good news judgment, attention to detail, and an ability to work independently and adapt to quickly changing circumstances.
Fresh Energy’s Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employer Policy reflect our commitment to ensure equality, treat everyone with respect, and promote diversity in the workplace.
For more than 28 years, Fresh Energy has been speeding Minnesota’s transition to a clean energy future to ensure that our region enjoys good health, a vibrant economy, and thriving communities today and for generations to come. Our mission is to shape and drive bold policy solutions to create equitable carbon-neutral economies. Together we are working toward a vision for a just, prosperous, and resilient future powered by a shared commitment to a carbon-neutral economy.
The Energy News Network is an editorially independent news organization, published by Fresh Energy and staffed by professional journalists, that covers the transition to a clean energy economy. Founded in 2010 as Midwest Energy News, ENN continues to serve a vital role in informing both decision makers and the broader public about important changes in the energy landscape.
Role and Responsibilities
- Oversee editing and curation of daily email newsletters, ensuring best practices are followed in story selection and presentation.
- Develop and maintain distribution list for current and potential republication partners; plan and execute outreach to contacts to maximize reach of original reporting.
- Assist with editing of daily news stories, including occasional reporting on breaking news items.
- Partner with the Managing Editor and Production Editor to coordinate social media strategy and homepage presentation.
- Assist in monitoring analytics and audience feedback, and identifying and recording impacts for use in case studies and grant reports.
- In collaboration with the news director, exercise initiative in work planning including the development and refinement of goals and targets to meet or exceed commitments to funders and by actively participating in evaluation processes.
- Work effectively in the context of your immediate team, the broader Fresh Energy team, and with external partners; enhance collaboration by maintaining good communication, seeking and respecting diverse viewpoints, engendering trust, fulfilling responsibilities, and ensuring that all team members and their contributions are valued.
- Model behavior and contribute to a culture that is consistent with Fresh Energy’s core values; A critical part of achieving our mission is by living the values we endorse.
- Participate in a culture of fundraising and our annual breakfast fundraiser, collaboration, and model core values of Fresh Energy, upholding the highest level of ethics in journalism products.
- Other duties as assigned and in coordination with staff/job holder.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
A minimum of bachelor’s degree and three years of experience working with digital platforms in journalism.
- Ability to exercise independent editorial judgment and uphold professional ethics
- Understanding of WordPress, Mailchimp or similar content management systems
- Basic understanding of copyright and intellectual property issues
- Basic knowledge of HTML
- Copyediting experience and working knowledge of AP style
- Experience writing headlines for digital media platforms and basic knowledge of search engine optimization (SEO)
- Aptitude for understanding and communicating complex policy issues
- Familiarity with Google Analytics or similar platform
- Experience and familiarity with social media
- Detail and process oriented, with ability to work on multiple projects and prioritize to meet deadlines
- Self-starter, ability to work independently
- Team player who desires working in an environment where working as a team is valued and practiced
- Demonstrated ability to perform well in fast-paced environment
Early morning hours are required (CST)
Compensation and Benefits
- Starting salary range: $45,000-55,000 based on experience.
- Full-time, exempt position, working 40 hours per week. We believe in work-life balance and are committed to keeping the workload in alignment with the true hours worked.
- 24 days of PTO (increases each year of employment), 14 paid holidays, and a flexible, family-friendly schedule; plus summer Fridays, the office closes at noon.
- We provide medical and dental plans, additional voluntary vision, short- and long-term disability, life, AD&D insurance, and 5 percent of annual salary contribution to 403(b) retirement plan after one year. In addition, we incentivize transit, biking, and walking, offering a dollar for dollar bus pass match, $1 for each trip to and from work by bike or walk, an indoor bike storage area and showers, and an optional one-time work-from-home allowance.
- We foster a respectful, collaborative, and fun work environment. Learn more about working at Fresh Energy here: https://fresh-energy.org/our-team/working-at-fresh-energy/
- This position will be located at Minnesota, but will consider telecommute. However, at this moment in our time, all Fresh Energy staff are currently working from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Our Hiring Process and Timeline
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled; preference given to applicants submitting on or before December 9, 2020.
- Our hiring team will select finalists to interview the week of December 7, 2020.
- Finalists will be invited to a second-round interview; at that time, we will ask for three references and two work samples relevant to this position, e.g. a technical paper, a professional writing sample, or other relevant published materials.
- Ideally the selected candidate would begin work in early January.
E-mail cover letter and resume with the subject line “Associate Editor” to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.